Author Topic: bpcr for buffalo classic  (Read 561 times)

Offline char2162

• Trade Count: (0)
bpcr for buffalo classic
« on: March 26, 2008, 05:28:16 PM »
somebody give me a starting point here. new gun came in today and i need to know whether to purchase some factory rounds(which ones) and start there or go ahead and purchase black powder reloading supplies and get going that way. chuck raithels article has got me thinking ive got to bust the bank to start loading black powder. how bout a good starting recipe. im ready to have some fun and not get bogged down with standard deviation and coefficient just yet. :-\ confused in north carolina

Offline Saloon slug

• Contributor
  • Eastern NC
Re: bpcr for buffalo classic
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 06:46:18 PM »
BP loading is only as hard as you want to make it. I have loaded 45-70 BP with the old Lyman hand tool 68grn of Pyro R seated the bullet and let fly just like the old buffalo hunters did. Many competition shooters of the late 1800's would breach seat their rounds. They would drop the bullet into the chamber (some times using a dowel to start it into the rifling) load up a case with powder and a wad load it in the chamber close the action and fire away. There are as many ways to load BP as there are for smokeless from cheap to pricey.

Slug the bore find a cast bullet that is .001 larger in the alloy you need (softer for black) and go from there. Hope I could help  :)
From the halls of Montezuma

Offline Bison Butt

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 03:19:56 PM »
I don't know what exactly you are looking for with BP,.. but the Buff Classic is not accepted by BPCR shooting. It will do well with BP however.

BB

Offline garandsrus

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 06:47:36 PM »
Bison Butt,

The reason it's not "accepted" is because the rear sight is on the barrel, right?  Is there any other reason?

John

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 07:04:52 PM »
It's not the sight, but BPCR rules state the rifle has to be true to the ORIGINAL design, before a certain date (cannot remember the date but around 1850) and the BC deviates enough to not qualify.  Sorry for no precise info, but I looked into it myself a few years back and was told this.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 05:42:27 AM »
The problem is not that the rifle has been prohibited, it's that the NRA Silhouette Committee has not listed it as approved.

http://www.bpcr.net./site_docs-results_schedules/documents/NRA_rules_for_BPCR.htm

There are many matches other than NRA rules events that accept the rifle.

The way I see it is that the 2000 buck rifle owners are afraid of getting their ass kicked by a Buffalo Classic!
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion