Author Topic: Serious Range work today  (Read 521 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Serious Range work today
« on: March 28, 2008, 08:16:58 PM »
Took my Handi 30-06 and Encore 30-06 to the range today, along with my TCR in 22-250 and Handi Ultra in .223. 

30-06 using 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tips.  Handi got a 1.5 inch group at 100 yards, as did the Encore.  At 200 the Encore shot 2.75in the Handi shot 3.50in.  At 300 yards the Encore fell apart, Groups scattered out and were either 6 inches high or 5 inches low, and a four inch spread, off center.  The handi was 1.5 inches low with all five shots, and spread to 2 inch group.

But here is the real surprise.  My TCR in 22-250 shot two inches high, with a 1.5 inch group at 100 yards, using 50gr Remington factory ammo.  At 200 yards it shot 3 inches low, with a 4 in spread.  At 300 yards the 22-250 only hit the paper with three of five shots.  One center top 6 inches high, one three inches right and 4 inches low, one 6 inches low and 5 inches left.  The Handi Ultra in .223 using UltraMax re-manufactured ammo, with 50gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, did much better.  Two inches high at 100, with a .75 inch group.  At 200 yards, dead on in elevation with .75 inch group.  At 300 yards, 3 inches low, with 2 inch group. 

I was really surprised with the lack of performance with the 22-250 TCR, with factory ammo, compared with the .223 Handi Ultra, with re-manufactured government brass ammo.  The TCR with it's set triggers is my all time favorite rifle, but the 22-250 barrel is new to me.  All shots were made from a Rocky Point Steady Rest.

Leaving Tuesday for a trip into the Alaska Range looking for Grizzly and wolves.  Taking the two handis.   

Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
Re: Serious Range work today
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 11:53:40 PM »
Hey Sourdough great report and excellent shooting!
The 223 and 30-06 Handi 5-shot groups of 2" at 300 is awsome.
Be sure to take someone that you can out run on your grizzly and wolf adventure!

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Serious Range work today
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 08:06:11 AM »
Maybe if I had used different ammo for the 22-250 I would have had better results.  But right now .22 center-fire ammo is hard to come by.  Remington is the only kind I can find locally.  The Ultramax is also not available anymore here, but I bought enough of it to last for a while.  Someday I will try doing some reloading for these.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.