Author Topic: New 44 Mag Rifles  (Read 1070 times)

Offline jy951

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (60)
  • Contributor
New 44 Mag Rifles
« on: February 23, 2008, 08:49:20 AM »
I just stopped by the local guns shop and they had one of the new 44 mag rifles.  It's a little different than the previous ones in that it has no iron sights, and the forend appears a little different.  However, when i looked on the barrel, it was clearly stamped sb2.  I couldn't tell what kind of receiver was on it, but i'm curious as to why it was stamped sb2.  Could they still be using sb2 frames on some of them?  I may go back and check it out again later.  Any easy ways to tell which fram while it's mounted on the gun?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: New 44 Mag Rifles
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 08:56:06 AM »
What was the serial number prefix?

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline jy951

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 09:17:44 AM »
don't know the sn.  will have to go back later sometime and check.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 09:38:03 AM »
The reason why I ask is the SB2 marking on barrels has been standard practice and they may have used one of those barrels from a previous batch on the new SB1 framed 44mag with no sights, but if they did, the prefix should be HX or NX HY or NY for a 2008 mfr year, but it could also be a special order SB2 without sights. If it is a new  SB1-S44, the butt should be different too, IF H&R offers the new monte carlo stock as shown on their website and catalog. But that's the same as on the cancelled Handi-mag, so they may not have followed thru with the new butt stock too, by sounds like they at least changed the forend.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/handiRifle.aspx

Old style syn  stock

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 10:24:54 AM »
I also handled one of the new SB1-S44's yesterday. It has a H&R HY (2008) serial # frame, the barrel is marked Handi SB2, the receiver is definitely a SB1 casting and has verbage stamped into the right side of the receiver. Not a direct quote, but close to this "Do not use any barrels other than .357 mag, .44 mag or shotgun barrels that were installed on this frame", I really butchered that, but anyway you get the idea. They are obviously going to be using that frame for the 20ga slug/.357 mag and 12ga slug/.44 mag Combos as well. It does have the NEW Monte-Carlo stock and longer forend with the molded in checkering, and I am happy to say it does look nicer than they do in the pictures. The angle of the recoil pad in the pictures seems to be exaggerated, and the pad is not ventilated but is of softer material. Definitely not a Limb-Saver though. ;D

The price was $250 for just the .44 barrel on that basically dedicated frame, I wonder what the Combos will cost? I can't believe they are getting $250 for a .44 barrel on a SB1 frame with Tupperware stocks. This place usually has pretty good prices on the H&R/NEF guns, but noticed they ALL went up considerably in price.

I would have bought that .44 mag if it would have been on a SB2 frame and had sights like the HX (2007) models do. I may never find one of those with the good bores.

Almost forgot, it's not everyday (if ever) you catch Tim slipping up, so you have to rub it in when you get the chance. ;D Sorry Tim, but if you check in the FAQ's it will tell you what prefix is used for 2008. ;D ;D ;D

The reason why I ask is the SB2 marking on barrels has been standard practice and they may have used one of those barrels from a previous batch on the new SB1 framed 44mag with no sights, but if they did, the prefix should be HX or NX for a 2008 mfr year, but it could also be a special order SB2 without sights.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 10:49:01 AM »
One other thing on the new forend, the swivel stud is way out near the end. That will balance the weight better while slung over the shoulder, and also put your bi-pods further forward. The later may or may not be a good thing?
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 10:59:25 AM »

Almost forgot, it's not everyday (if ever) you catch Tim slipping up, so you have to rub it in when you get the chance. ;D Sorry Tim, but if you check in the FAQ's it will tell you what prefix is used for 2008. ;D ;D ;D

Heh heh, that's not the worst part, I've made the same mistake at least once(that I know of) before, trying to trust my memory!! ::) :-[ I think it's kinda like writing last year's date on checks for the first month or two of the new year!! ;D

Sorry, thanks for the correction and the additional info,  ;)

Tim

Offline Batchief909

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 12:14:42 PM »
Busta,,,did you hit the Michigan lottery?!  :o ;D ;D

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 02:51:58 PM »
Busta,,,did you hit the Michigan lottery?!  :o ;D ;D

::) Maybe! ;D
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline jy951

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 07:01:52 PM »
i looked at the receiver and do not remember seeing any kind of warning about using different barrels.  it's possible i just overlooked it however.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 12:18:34 PM »
Bump
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member