Author Topic: .243 Ackley Improved?  (Read 544 times)

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
.243 Ackley Improved?
« on: March 27, 2008, 12:30:33 PM »
Having doubts about my chamber dimensions. 

Anyone try converting their .243 to AI or something else?
Thoughts?
Got:
Handi VP 22/410, 410, 20, 17M2, .223, 357MAX, 50cal ML SS w/MU plug

Offline Daniel Laws

• Avid Poster
Re: .243 Ackley Improved?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 01:16:48 AM »
You'll probably hear this more than once, but here goes.  When Ackley was developing his process, he recommended setting the barrel back on the action one full turn, then reaming the chamber to have about .004'' crush on a factory loaded round.  After firing, the case was then formed to the Ackley configuration.  It is pretty well impossible to set the barrel back on a handi, so the Ackley route may or may not work for you on a 243, just depends on the depth of the chamber from the factory.  With the handi's reputation for generous chambers, it is not highly likely to work out very well.  You can ream a 243 to the 6mm Rem Ackley Improved.  This is a longer case than the 243, and will both clean up the chamber and re-establish head space.  I had a handi barrel which was done this way, but I sold it to another member here before I ever shot it.  He reported that it worked out great for him, but reloading dies, etc; are pretty expensive for the 6mmAI.  If you are set on a 243AI, you could also run 243 brass over a 6.5 mm or 270 expander ball, and then resize in a 243 die to form a false shoulder to headspace on and fireform 243 AI brass that may be just a tad longer than spec.  You can then use 243 AI dies to just barely bump the shoulder back when you resize.  The first time is the pain in the posterior, after that it is just regular rloading, with extra care not to set the shoulder back.  I have one of the deep chambered 35 Whelen barrels that I have to reload this way.  Not really a big deal, you just have to realize what you are getting into up front.   Hope this helps, Danny.

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 03:19:40 AM »
Thanks.

After I posted this I was able to find the topic in the search, but it took a while.
Got:

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 06:02:20 AM »
Has anybody ever tried set the barrel back on a handi?

Trim the barrel and relocate the barrel lug.

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 07:02:11 AM »
Has anybody ever tried set the barrel back on a handi?
I PM'd Quickdtoo the same question, he replied:

Their standard of accuracy is 2" with factory ammo, so they probably won't replace the barrel ifit will do that, but if they do, it will be with an extractor.

Tim

Only thing is the 100g factory rounds have not been 2", only found a couple of reloads getting close after many combinations.

Trim the barrel and relocate the barrel lug.
I don't think trimming would work, because the extractor/ejector wouldn't change.
But I don't know much about that stuff.
Got: