Author Topic: chilled shot?  (Read 820 times)

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
chilled shot?
« on: June 24, 2008, 04:52:23 AM »
Someone gave me 50 pounds of chilled lead shot. I dont reload shotshells. I do cast roundballs for muzzleloader, bullets for 45 Colt, 357 mag and 30-30. I usually use wheel weights but free lead is good lead. What should I use it for?
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline John020769

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: chilled shot?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 05:34:45 AM »
Sell it and buy the lead You need. What size shot is it ?

Offline Idaho Ron

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 01:10:36 PM »
If that is West cost hard lead shot it is worth about 100.00 maybe a little more, Sell it or trade it. Ron

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 01:21:46 PM »
  That shot should have a good bit of arsenic in it. Arsenic is needed to heat treat bullets to their MAX hardness.

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 06:17:06 PM »
If that is West cost hard lead shot it is worth about 100.00 maybe a little more, Sell it or trade it. Ron

Is West Coast a brand name for shot? I am pretty sure both sacks are Olin, I'll have to check it in the morning.
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 12:30:06 AM »
like was said it does have arsnic in it so be carefull melting it that you dont breath the fumes. If you melt it down and cast with it as is its not much harder then pure lead. What it is is pure lead with a trace of arsnic that is water dropped when made. To get the hardness out of that alloy if you use it as is you need to water drop your bullets. What its good for is Alloying. If you take pure lead and mix in about one lb of your shot to 10 lbs of pure it will harden up pretty good if you water drop your bullets .
blue lives matter

Offline tn_junk

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
  • Look to Him
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 06:41:57 AM »
like was said it does have arsnic in it so be carefull melting it that you dont breath the fumes. If you melt it down and cast with it as is its not much harder then pure lead. What it is is pure lead with a trace of arsnic that is water dropped when made. To get the hardness out of that alloy if you use it as is you need to water drop your bullets. What its good for is Alloying. If you take pure lead and mix in about one lb of your shot to 10 lbs of pure it will harden up pretty good if you water drop your bullets .

I mix chilled shot 1/2 lb per 10 lbs of WW and drop into water. Get 16-18 BNL (Using a Lee hardness tester).

alan
Common Sense Ain't Very Common

Deceased May 20, 2009.  RIP Alan we miss you.