Author Topic: Credit Collapse: The Depression Countdown Begins  (Read 1418 times)

Offline beemanbeme

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Credit Collapse: The Depression Countdown Begins
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2008, 05:58:05 AM »
Scout, to carry your plan a step further. Be very circumspect about your activities.  You don't want anyone to know you have a stash of food or seeds.  Be very circumspect about who to admit to your group.  Exclude automatically any "rambo" types.  Make sure everyone knows to keep their big mouths shut.  Collect books on organic gardening (I'm not saying that's the best way but it tells you ways to get by when you can't run to the store for some Sevin Dust), collect books and READ THEM about home remedies.  It wasn't too many years ago that a cold could be fatal. In the Civil War, more men died from infection than gunshots. Medicines that we can buy OTC now would have  been wonder drugs 75 years ago.  A hoard of them certainly wouldn't hurt.  Know how to set a bone; birth a baby; pull a tooth. 
Oh, don't forget the pressure canner and jars. Lotsa jars 'cause you're gonna be canning what meat you'll eat during the summer. 

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2008, 10:48:57 AM »
I started stocking up about a year ago. Took me almost 2 years after the Y2K non-event to go thru what I had stocked up. Learned canning and gardening from my parents, who both lived thru the Great Depression. Now I even can my beef and chicken. Not to a great extent, but will do alot more in the near future.
Both my brother and nephew live with in 2 miles, and I believe to a great extent, family's are going to have to help out one another tremendously. I truly hope it doesn't get as bad as I imagine, but am preparing for the worst.  gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline beemanbeme

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2008, 03:55:38 PM »
An interesting little tidbit that most folks may or may not know. Mormons are supposed to keep either 6 months or a years supply of nonperishable food on hand.  And I asked a Mormon guy how did they keep the dried peas or beans or flour without them getting weevils in them.  He said you put the peas or beans in a clean lard bucket (5 gallon tin) and put a piece of dry ice on top. As the dry ice evaporates, the co2 puddles in the bottom of the bucket excluding the air. You put the top on the tin, seal it up and any weevils that happen to be inside are smothered.  Neat, huh.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2008, 01:19:01 AM »
The same thing can be accomplished by putting the item in the freezer for three or four days, before storing.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett