Author Topic: think maybe I'll stick with a 20ga.  (Read 800 times)

Offline scout4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
think maybe I'll stick with a 20ga.
« on: March 31, 2008, 02:56:07 PM »
Hey Fella's! After readin more and findin out alittle more I think I'll begin lookin for a 20ga. Phatinjun gave me some good advice! My son's 12ga. thumped me pretty good :-\ so some sound advice and a good thumpin's all I need at times,...or maybe it should be the other way round, a good thumpin, then sound advice. Anyway,...scout4<><

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Re: think maybe I'll stick with a 20ga.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 03:22:43 AM »
As the old saying goes "Buck or bird, twenty is plenty". I bet someone beaten for years by an old 12ga topper with nothing but a hard rubber butt plate coined that phrase. I've got quite a few flavors of 12ga but I know its true.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline buckshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 09:34:19 AM »
Scout4

I use to have a 20 gauge shotgun just like other guys, I use to love my 20 gauge until I could not buy certain things for them like a extra full turkey choke, scope mount, and 3 inch slugs, because I could not find these things I decided to buy a 12 gauge shotgun, why because 20's are not that popular as a 12 gauge.  Lets say I need a specail turkey choke for my gun, I can walk in to your local sports store and have a 75% chance of them having it, with a 20 it is a lot harder finding certain things for you gun that you really need.  So if I were you I would go and buy a 12 gauge shotgun, why because now that I have done it I will never go back to a 20 gauge.
"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 06:59:01 PM »
Well , since I have never found a NEED for a special turkey choke  And I make my own 3" slug(only cause I get a little better groups out of three inch hulls)  and  they were killing  for hundreds of years before someone decided you needed a special choke  so I think I'll stick with my 28 and 20 ;D ;D ;D
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline scout4

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 10:26:40 AM »
What I'm doing is lookin for a gun to use mostly on deer, something with a  more knockdown power than the little 410. At first I was thinkin,...an that can lead to a problem in itself... :D...a 12ga. with a big thick rubber buttpad!....After a few rounds of 400grainer's in a light weight single shot...what was I thinking!  :P well anyway, I think, at shorter ranges, something I'm very familiar with, a 20 will be just a dandy!...Thanks Fella's for the replys! scout4<><

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 01:28:07 PM »
I'm stepping down to a 20 due to neck and shoulder injuries. I love my 28, also.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783