Author Topic: I Wish  (Read 947 times)

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
I Wish
« on: November 05, 2009, 12:17:42 PM »
I have a Mossberg 500 muzzleloader barrel.  I so wish H&R would have just followed their lead.  The breechplug isn't removable nor does it need to be.  It's cleaned just like an old timey muzzleloader from the muzzle.  You just open the breech, insert 209 primer, close the breech, and fire.  I really want a single shot blackpowder shotgun but I don't want to pay an arm & a leg for it.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Illhunter

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
Re: I Wish
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 12:29:38 PM »
make one using a pardner shotgun explain more later if you want me to. 

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 06:22:32 PM »
I have a Mossberg 500 muzzleloader barrel.  I so wish H&R would have just followed their lead.  The breechplug isn't removable nor does it need to be.  It's cleaned just like an old timey muzzleloader from the muzzle.  You just open the breech, insert 209 primer, close the breech, and fire.  I really want a single shot blackpowder shotgun but I don't want to pay an arm & a leg for it.

So what do you do after 200-300 shots and your flash hole is eroded? Throw it away and buy another?

The breech plug is replacable, and therefore renewable. I have some custom breech plugs with a removable vent liner that should last about forever. I like removable breech plugs, they allow you to customize your ignition and replace your worn out flash hole. Just my 2 cents.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 11:20:16 PM »
They could do a removable vent liner similar to a flintlock.  Seem like a non-issue.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 11:43:40 PM »
and a while ago when one of the new breech plug upgrades was introduced you posted you wish you hadn't gotten rid of your sidekick cuz this made it wonderful.  Now you complain because the breech plug is removable. 
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 12:15:17 AM »
I'm not complaining.  I'm saying it doesn't need to be removeable & I wish they made a cheap muzzleloading shotgun.  It could sell for $117.00 at Walmart because it would be cheaper to produce.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 09:21:24 PM »
I also have a Mossburg conversion barrel.  Used it to kill my first muzzloader Moose, back about 10 years ago.  Shoot good, but I hate that the breech does not come out.  Makes it real hard to clean.  My Encore and Huntsman, are so much easier to clean, just by removing the breech plug.  It's impossible to get all the corrosion causing scum out of the Mossberg barrel.  Just look at how hard it is to clean the channel of the breech plugs with them removed.  There is no way anyone is going to get all those little recesses clean when the breech plug does not come out.

Plus I hate the old bucket of hot water system.  With the breech plug removed, four or five passes with patches and windshield washer fluid and the barrel is clean.  Then wash the breech plug with the same stuff, done.  It's so much easier than using the bucket of hot water. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 01:50:59 AM »
I don't use hot water.  I fill it (the barrel)full of windshield washer fluid or Windex (let it set awhile) and just pour the fouling out.  Having shot traditional muzzleloaders for over 30 years I have no problem cleaning it at all.  Hot water will flash rust your barrel.  Use tepid if you must use water.