Author Topic: Wife CCW  (Read 2011 times)

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
Wife CCW
« on: January 05, 2008, 01:08:45 PM »
I wife informed me the other day that she would like to get a ccw and carry a gun in her purse.Boy,was I surprised.She has been to the range with me many times and she shoots very well.But I never thought she would like to carry.Anyway,I need suggestions on gun.She said she wanted a semi and for it to be small enough to fit in purse,Heck,I could put my Ruger SBH Hunter w/scope in most of her purses ;D.My wife is very tiny,4'10" tall weight 100 # w/very small hands.She said no bells and whistles,no safety,nothing to figure out but point and shoot.Any suggestions?.......Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: Wife CCW
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 01:17:51 PM »
My wife and I were at the gun store the other day, and looked at a Glock 26 in 9mm. The small grip fit her hand nicely. The semi auto would tame some recoil.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 01:30:09 PM »
If your wife plans to purse carry, get her one of the concealment purses with the hidden gun compartment. It's a good idea to keep the gun separated from all the other things that she might carry in a purse.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 03:57:33 PM »
Rick - take the Lady shopping.  Let her fondle and handle every handgun she looks at.  Give her an open selection of smaller revolvers and semi-autos.  If the Lady is that tiny then she will have to find the gun that fits her best.  The caliber is almost secondary to her having enough confidence in what she is carrying to hit with it. 

I always recommend the Smith and Wesson j-frame snubbies:  basic five shot 38s, no bells or whistles, light enough to carry without dragging the purse off her shoulder.  These are +P rated but to be honest, I feel the +P recoil isn't worth what comes out the business end of the barrel.  For that matter, the plain old 38 wadcutter is bad business on bad guys at close personal defense ranges, accurate enough to practice with and easy enough to shoot even for a diminutive person.  JMTCW.  Mikey.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 07:30:20 PM »
There are a lot of choices--good and bad--let it be her choice--it won't be the last.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline jhm

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 06:03:08 AM »
She should be the person making the decision as she is the one who will be carrying it, look at the kel-tec line everything from 32 acp to 9mm all lightweight and no nothing to mess with just point and squeeze.   JIM

Offline Poohgyrr

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 10:28:25 AM »
She has already been shooting and asked - so she is already way ahead of most people that I know of.

For an auto, I'd suggest trying one of the S&W 3913 series 9mms. These are lightweight single stacks with a great grip (for many small handed folks) and a better reputation.  They can be found used, in great condition, for about $450 with careful shopping.
John

Blue Skies, green hills, clean trout streams, and home made ice cream

"Life brings us joys and sorrow alike, it is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true measure of his mettle."  T. Roosevelt

Offline scout34

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 12:22:43 PM »
My wife is pretty small too.  She started out with a Taurus 85, went to a Star Model BM, tried a Smith 637 and thought it kicked too much.  I had her try out an M&Pc and she loved the feel of it.  I convinced her to get the .40 over the 9mm and she has not had a problem with the recoil.  She carried in a Coronado Leather purse that I got from Master of Concealment, but had to get something smaller because the big purse was causing her back and neck problems.  The M&Pc fits in the front zipper pocket with an X2 light on it and the spare mag goes in the snapped PDA pocket with her cell phone.  Much smaller  package overall.  Smaller volume, less junk that can go in it.

Offline jmckenney

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 02:16:14 PM »
If your wife is set on a semiauto have her try out a CZ82 This is a fine semi auto, 12+1 mag, ambi safety and mag release, double/single action 9x18 makarov.These are approximately on the scale of the Walther PPK/s
There is more to carrying a semi auto than just pulling the trigger and unless she is mechanically inclined and able to deal with malfunctions under stress steer her towards a revolver in the J frame. Here is a pair of mdl 36 Chief Specials in 38 Spl, one is mine and my wife carries the other.  category.

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 05:39:54 AM »
If you/she are in the market for a small semi auto,take a look at Kel-Tec PF9.Single stack 8 round DOA and very flat.My wife is carrying one flat loves it.       hth    Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 06:46:21 AM »
Rick - take the Lady shopping.  Let her fondle and handle every handgun she looks at. 

........let it be her choice--it won't be the last.

She should be the person making the decision as she is the one who will be carrying it

I'm going to jump on this bandwagon.  My spousal unit, despite small frame and hands prefers the large bores.  (I never would have guessed that)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 04:43:25 AM »
lady-smith in 357 j frame , likes rubber grips  but has taken a liken to a airweight lately !
now she has an eye on an sp101 !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline BUSHMASTER1

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 11:06:27 AM »
My wife's a .45 nut, The 4 I own she claims are Hers.She shot my new Kimber Ultra Carry the other day and informed me that I'm ordering her one. :o

Offline ihuntbucks

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 06:29:50 PM »
Then she will own 5 .45's  ;D.........Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline Bigbuck

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2008, 07:32:43 AM »
Any flavor of Kahr (9mm if she's somewhat recoil shy).  Small (thinner than the baby Glocks)....lightweight (only the wonder metal frame revolvers really beat it in this department)....slick (nothing to snag)....simple (pull the trigger - no external safety to deal with) and reliable (mine's yet to jam anyway  ;D)

I would also recommend one of the CCW purses with the dedicated handgun section (no matter what gun she chooses).  Less likelyhood of something snagging the trigger. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 07:40:33 AM »
if and when you and wife travel together it might be wise that your gun be wife friendly !
just in case she has to save your bacon !

Offline BUSHMASTER1

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 09:51:05 AM »
Wife's Ultra carry on the way, sold a S&W 645 to make it happen. The Smith was much too large to carry. My wife is small and still considers the recoil difference between 9's, 40's and .45's to be  insignificant.

Offline Heavy C

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2008, 02:17:46 PM »
My wife is a small gal too.  I got her a S&W 637 Airweight with Crimson Trace laser grips.  It's rated for +P ammo and is light enough that she doesn't complain about carrying it daily.  I also got her some of the purses available through Galco that are specifically built for concealed carry.  Good quality and they look great.  When my wife qualified she qualified with one of my full sized 1911's.  Made more than a couple of guys at the range that day eat their words.   8)

Offline gman628

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2008, 04:45:28 PM »
I just picked up a S&W 642 (J frame) for my wife, she really liked the size and the spur less hammer.  She carries under the waistband but if your wife will be carrying in the purse, having no hammer to hang up when pulling it out might be a plus.  Only thing I didn't like was the 7-8 lb. pull on a D.A. only gun, so we threw an extra $50.00 in the cost at purchase and had a trigger job done to bring it down to right at 5 lbs. 

Gary

Offline BRADFORDcoHUNTER

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 09:05:59 PM »
My personal opinion and experiences with my wife, would lead me to suggest a revolver. Now, it's not "Sheik" like most people would prefer, but it is probably more effective and infallible under duress, for a woman without significant combat training. Sometimes under stress, a semi auto pistol may have too many "bells & whistles" for those without proper training. If it must be a semi auto pistol, make sure you choose a proven and reliable gun. I'd suggest something in a SA only design, without too much complication from an external, manual safety. Cheap semi autos are about useless, and are prone to stove piping and feeding problems, even from something as simple as shooting the gun cocked a little sideways. Cheap guns are finnicky about ammo, and cannot be relied upon at the range, let alone in a life and death situation.

As for particular guns, there are MANY options. My personal preference in a revolver for my wife, would be a J frame. In a semi auto for most females, I'd opt for a Springfield XD 9mm sub compact, or a sub compact Glock in 9mm. I think today's 9mm is a much more viable self defense round, as compared to the offerings of even 10 years ago. They are now loaded hotter, and in more configurations. You could also go 380 ACP, but for what ever reasons, I'm just not a fan of the caliber and choices of guns in that caliber. For myself, I'd rather carry a snubbie loaded with 38 +P ammo. Regardless of what you settle on, situational practice and functional knowledge of the firearm is the real key. You are ALWAYS going to be more effective with a gun that you have confidence in, and shoot well, regardless of caliber. Good luck!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 01:40:50 AM »
good post !
after trying a PPKs ,AMT BU , SIG 380 , HSC , TOM cat and other 32's i came to the conclusion that they are prone to stoppage if not maintained alot ! they are small and not easy to clear stoppages . SO THE M-38 AIR WEIGHT ANS SP101 get the nod !can't tell ya what the wife's gun sees in the hand bag but the one in my pocket sees plenty gunk and dirt ! but they never fail to fire a nice trait in a carry gun !

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2008, 01:52:13 AM »
OK Rick it's time to tell us what ya got her or at least give us an update on the selection process. I agree with the folks suggesting a S&W J-frame gun that's what my wife's CCW is and we have several of them of different models around the house. I even use one often as my carry gun.

My wife is only 4' 11" tall and she's pretty comfortable shooting a Glock 19 but that's a lot of gun for most women to carry around in a purse. Glocks in general as much as I like them are kinda heavy guns for CCW which tends to cause me to leave it and take a lighter gun more often than one of them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2008, 04:16:04 PM »
OK Rick it's time to tell us what ya got her or at least give us an update on the selection process.

Do tell.

Curious what she picked and why.

JC

Offline 45LCshoooter

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2008, 06:38:08 PM »
I know a girl (was never able to snag her :'( ) who carried a .357 in her purse...and i doubt it was an air-weight either. I think the fact that she wants purse carry (and you alluded to big purses) that good fit to hand and a decent cartridge chambering is the top two things to consider. In a purse gun, i would imagine a steel frame does not add that much weight to the purse (not going to suggest that she carries a makeup factory in there, but the few oz. difference would not, in my opinion, does not affect carry-ability that much) but does improve control-ability. Besides, the more comfortable it is to shoot the more she will shoot it.

Dittos on letting her pick it out.
All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien

Offline ihuntbucks

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2008, 10:43:45 PM »
Well she finally picked one.She got a Glock 23 w/night sights (.40 S & W).She likes the mid-size ver.We went to range a couple of times last week and she really likes it.She even let me shoot it.Her first gun and my first Glock.If momma is happy all is good ;D.........Rick