Author Topic: Best Bench Shooting Form  (Read 722 times)

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (0)
Best Bench Shooting Form
« on: July 29, 2003, 03:54:06 PM »
I have been struggling a bit lately while bench shooting. I have 2 new rifles that I have been working with... an Encore 7M-08 (24"barrel) and a Sako 7MM (26" barrel).  I have shot several different bullets/loads etc... but the groups are not consistently MOA.  I know I am capable of shooting better than 1.5" groups as I have done it often with my Tikka in 243.  I have always shot with my non-trigger arm kind of  wrapped around my butt bag/trigger arm.  But the Encore is very light and so has quite a bit of recoil and barrel jump.  The Sako while heavier still has quite a bit of recoil.  Anyway, my buddy said that he was taught (in a shooting academy thing, when he was young) that the non-trigger hand should lightly rest on the top of the scope. He said the rifle would be much more stable and it helps keep the barrel down. So finally I tried it tonite.  Results  :eek: . . . @ 100 yds both rifles shot groups of 3/4", and at 200 yds the 7M-08 shot 1/2" group and the 7MM a 2" group.  By then I was mentally pooped, and he was out of shells, so we bunched it.  I guess it works well but I am a bit hard headed and kind of hate to give in.  How do you guys shoot?? :?  :?
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline jhm

Best Bench Shooting Form
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2003, 04:15:36 PM »
Longwinters :  Like you I shot with the off arm wraped around holding my shooting elbow, I had a sock at one time filled with hard 8 shot that I would lay across the rifles with the most barrel jump but quit shooting the big a couple yrs ago, still have the 7mag and shoot it with lighter bullets and with lighter loads as I have always liked the caliber and the rifle. :D   JIM

Offline KN

Best Bench Shooting Form
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2003, 05:02:19 PM »
I recently started doing just what you described. Shooting with my free hand very lightly grasping the top of the scope turrets. Not exerting any preasure in any direction, just steadying the rig. It helped me shrink the groups I was shooting by about 1/3. And this was with a 23" Contender in 17HMR. Very little kick but what movement I was getting was causing me fits. I was also shooting off a rest and not a bi-pod. Seems to work really well.  KN

Offline cointoss

• Trade Count: (1)
Best Bench Shooting Form
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2003, 03:29:10 AM »
Longwinters, I am going to have to give it a try on the off hand resting on the scope.  By the way, both the wife and I will be doing the mule deer antelope combo, after finding out the results in the draw for Wyoming.
cointoss

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Best Bench Shooting Form
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2003, 04:40:18 AM »
:grin: Congrats cointoss.  Hunting mulies would be at the top of my list.  But since my free offer was for antelope . . . antelope it will be. :D
Life is short......eternity is long.