Author Topic: Sure wish it would rain  (Read 641 times)

Offline oldandslow

• Trade Count: (0)
Sure wish it would rain
« on: April 05, 2008, 02:27:52 PM »
If it doesn't rain pretty soon I think this part of the world is going to burn completely up. Three weeks ago 75,000 acres went up in smoke. There have been several small fires since then. Had one a couple hundred yards down the road Wed. night but they got it out real quick because the wind wasn't very high. One started about 9:30 this morning a few miles to the southwest. It would burn across to the north and then flare up back where it started again. This went on all day until about an hour ago and I think it is out now. Another started about 45 minutes ago to the northeast. I'm glad I'm not a fireman.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Sure wish it would rain
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 02:48:41 PM »
I hope you get relief. Right now our situation is the opposite with ALL of our rivers WAY ABOVE flood stage. I live South of
Pocahontas, AR. & you may have seen us on Nat. news with this little problem. I live within 5 miles of 3 of these rivers, but I live on a ridge where the Ozarks begin. Someday, we will see the river bottoms again.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 03:03:12 PM »
I hope It quits raining. :o It is hard for me to work with all the rain we had in the past month and a half. I hope you get some though.Wish I could send  you some if I could.Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline magooch

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 03:19:15 AM »
I'll trade ya straight up--thirty rainy days for fifteen sunny days.
Swingem

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 04:04:20 AM »
That sounds like a deal.  I'll see what I can do.

Offline kevthebassman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 07:53:16 AM »
I've darn near forgotten what the sun looks like.

Offline Moss88hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 08:19:07 AM »
It won't quit here, but I won't complain if it will stay throughout the summer.

Evan
"It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six!"

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 10:40:08 AM »
Wish I could send you all the snow that has fallen this morning.  Just went out and swept two inches off the porch.  All last week it was sunny and in the 50s, now it's in the teens and expecting it to stay there for all the week.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Moss88hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 09:38:20 PM »
I would love to take the snow! I hate it when there is no snow and it's just cold. In TN we got 1 and a half inches once all winter besides dustings.

Evan
"It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six!"

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 12:32:31 AM »
OAS
I thought you folks had gotten some rain here of late.
What part of NM are you in---seems like this time last year you folks were looking for the guy with the ark.
Now, I am not making fun of you, please understand, It just seems too me I was watching some rain move out of Mexico. It must have missed you completely.
Are you from around Artesia?
Blessings
Bill
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 02:27:02 AM »
The back seems to be broken on our drought conditions finally after three years of drought conditions here in Bama. We've not regained the lost rainfall obviously and it might take years for ground water levels to return to normal but at least this year rainfall is running about normal and for us that means quite a lot of rain.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 06:32:54 AM »
William, I am 60 miles east of Artesia, just 15 miles west of the TX line. We had quite a bit of rain early last year and thought maybe the drought was over. It quit raining in August. Just a little shower rarely that was dried out and gone in a day. About 4" of snow total in three little storms and it all blew away. The rain made a good grass crop last summer but now we are paying for it. I own a farm about 100 miles east of here. The guy that farms it said they have severe drought conditions over there, no underground moisture at all.

All the moisture you have heard about is snow in the northern part of NM. The snow pack in the norther mountains is way above normal. Does,t do us a bit of good.

Paper stated that about 17,000 acres burned Saturday. There is a fire going close to Capitan and one on the Apache reservation by Ruidoso. Big Bill Richardson jumped in and proclaimed this "Fire Awarness Week" in NM yesterday. Gotta make those headlines.

I bought a new tractor and shredder a month ago tomorrow. Due to one thing and another I going to get in the pasture today and start mowing down this mess.