Author Topic: used 12g topper barrel that needs work  (Read 607 times)

Offline aaron billings

• Trade Count: (0)
used 12g topper barrel that needs work
« on: April 25, 2008, 02:28:49 AM »
yesterday i picked up a 12 g barrel for 10 bucks.  clearly the previous owner had given up on it, they had stripped out the ejector for possible use elsewhere etc.  'Looks like the problem was that the forend stud threads are mangled and it's hard to mount the screw...   Otherwise this looks like a decent full choke topper 12g.  Can I order guts for the ejector and rethread the stud or should i just toss the whole thing in a recycle bin?  thanks for you thoughts.  ab

Offline RugerNo3

• Avid Poster
Re: used 12g topper barrel that needs work
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 02:41:21 AM »
Not knowing the age of the barrell, Brownells should have the ejector. H&R won't have anything to do with the firearms they didn't manufacture and age of the barrel would be the criteria. A call to their customer service should clear that up. Besides it's too big to make a jack handle. Course you could throw it under the truck seat for self defense. Good luck.
"Use a big enough gun!"

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 03:28:12 AM »
it is an easy fix, the fact that it has a threaded stud to mount the forearm shows it will take standard H&R/NEF ejector parts. Early barrels had fine threads newer barrels have coarse threads. That info is in the FAQ's. Just chase the threads in the forearm stud with a bottoming tap. Use whichever you decide fits the oruginals most closely. The parts that make up the ejextor are also depicted and described in the FAQ's. With just a little work you should be able to get it so you can shoot it....good luck....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 05:07:47 AM »
All of the ejector parts are listed in the Pardner owner's manual on H&Rs CS page. ;) They're also available from Brownell's as RugerNo3 said, as well as Numrich.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/manuals.aspx
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline aaron billings

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 05:59:45 AM »
looks like about $20 in parts.  I think I'll fix the lug first and see how it shoots before getting parts.  thanks for the suggestions, i'll be back in a week to let you know how it went.  ab

Offline aaron billings

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 07:16:23 AM »
home gunsmithing word of caution.
well.....  I got it fixed and it shoots pretty good patterns.  If anyone else does this remember to use extreme caution when rethreading the forend stud.  the thread cutters are extremely brittle and will break off inside the stud if forced.  I should have tossed the barrel at that point.  instead i cut off the top 1/8 inch off the stud w a dremel cuttoff wheel and backed out the  thread cutter w a pair of pliers.  the result works but i'd never sell it to anyone and I won't be in a hurry to order those ejector parts.  ab

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 01:59:59 PM »
Another worse case scenario is the stud is just resistance welded on, there have been several reports of the stud detaching from the barrel with very little effort, at least yours is still attached!! :D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain