Author Topic: AK-47 vs SKS - What would you choose and why?  (Read 4842 times)

Offline Chilachuck

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Re: AK-47 vs SKS - What would you choose and why?
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2007, 06:56:50 AM »
The main problem in Alaska is that hunting guns are limited to 5 shots.

I have not looked at the magazine in an SKS to see if it can be altered to suit. Lots of people say the add on mags are not worth using, but most are talking about the big ones, I haven't read anything about the smaller ones.

Offline rio grande

• Trade Count: (39)
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2007, 01:15:24 AM »
cheaperthandirt has 5 round sks mags.  Looks like might be OK for hunting if your life's not at risk.
Or...
i've read you can make a wooden pc. to drop into the magazine to block the follower.  Or a homemade extension to the follower.  Or a pin or screw thru (a replacement) mag body to block.
Seems like an easy modification for an sks.

Offline Chilachuck

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2007, 01:50:08 AM »
I've seen the 5 round after market type. Good point about hunting vs fighting, I've never needed more than one shot on a deer, so I'm more concerned about the game warden getting upset.

I cannot recall if the SKS mags have leaf springs or coil. Coil springs would be no trouble to block, leaf springs might be.

Offline Old Griz

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2007, 12:04:47 AM »
I guess I was dumb - bought American. I found a great deal on a used stainless Mini-30. Heard they were not accurate, but this one ain't bad at all. Of course, I'm an old fart, and I don't shoot 'em until the barrel's glowing red. It just looked like it would hold up well, and handle any and all coyotes or other varmints. Ain't never had either an AK or a SKS. Maybe you guys who have shot all three can tell me how the Ruger compares with other two. Just curious. If something nasty happens, I'm grabbing the shotgun anyway.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline ~Ace~

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
  • Over Educated Under Achiever
    • TN Predators.com
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2007, 03:40:02 AM »
Most American companies attempts to market a 7.62 X 39 rifle failed because they used a .308 Barrel instead of the .310 /.311 that Every other country used, and the milsurp ammo is made for. Coupled with Firing pins / springs not strong enough to consistently fire hard Berdan primers.

The AK is a Fantastic weapon, it's ultra reliable, accurate enough for it's designed purpose, and can put Lots of rounds down range.

The SKS is also Ultra reliable WITH FACTORY FIXED MAGS More acurate, and made for well aimed shooting, not spray and pray.

For hunting, the SKS is the better choice... for homeland security, BOTH ! They accent eachother very well, if your in a secured position, the SKS will make accurate shots to keep invaders from breaching. If you need to overtake a position, the firepower and close quarters abilities of the AK are well proven around the world.. Almost every conventional  War Won since 1947 has been done so by troops with AK's.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2007, 04:56:17 AM »
i'll take the new mini -30 over either for the long haul , with a hand load i get under 2 inches at 50 yds sometimes an inch ( fat inch ) which ain't bad for a gun like this !
but if i had to choose i would still take the sks ! Keep in mind that both the AK and SKS were made fast and cheap by the guys who funded revolution ! after which all those guns needed to be recalled or worn out so as not to be used against the new govt. !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2008, 05:05:17 PM »
I have a friend in NC who put one of those 20 round box magizines on his SKS--looks just like the 10 round original, but a bit longer. Works real well, never jammed, or messed up. Load with stripper clips just like the 10 round, only use 2 clips.

Cybin

Offline Shawnee Gene

• Avid Poster
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2008, 09:24:12 PM »
I have both, fitted with wood and synthetic furniture.  Also, various magazines and optics.  These are my SHTF guns.  I prefer 30 cal. weapons.   
"Wheel guns are Real guns!"

Offline cochise

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2008, 06:02:48 PM »
My vote is for the ak. There is a reason that the commies ditched the sks-firepower. I have owned both and in a combat situation the ak wins hands down. If you want a deer rifle get a bolt action or a 30-30 or an sks. In a shootout I want as many rounds on tap as possible. Loaded ak mags are much easier to change under stress.  I recently saw a documentary where two tribes of African cattle herders tangled over territory. One side was armed with the ak, the other had Mausers and Enfields. The ak side inflicted heavy casualties on the bolt action armed side and took the ground from them. I think the fight would have been closer if the bolt action tribe had any kind of semi-auto but I still think the aks firepower would trump the sks marginal increase in accuracy-it's debatable depending on the make of the rifles in question. 

Offline GrassLakeRon

• A Real Regular
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2008, 12:33:46 AM »
Here's my 2 cents....

I have shot both and like the AK style better.  I own an AK variant (Norinco NHM-91).  It has a longer barrel and is said to be one of the best RPK's on the market.  I have an inexpensive scope on it and shot 2 inch group at 100 yards with wolf 123 grain HP.  I do not call that spray and pray, but accurate to kill dear with or anything else out to 150 yards or longer.  What I have always found interesting is this:  .5 inch groups, 1 inch groups, 2 inch or 3 inch still equals dead deer.  I do not group rifles into spray and pray until 1 or 2 foot groups, but at that point just pitch a grenade.

Ron

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2008, 11:47:34 PM »
I'll take a quality built AK over the SKS any day if the choice can only be one or the other.  I own a Arsenal AK SA-7 that is well built, with quality ammo it shoots 2"@ 100 yards, and a MAK-90, best AK available under $500.  This is not to say I have no use for SKS's, I have three, didn't go shopping for them but these have popped up under $100 each.  I have kept mine in factory form, have a half case of Barnaul soft points for each, all stuck back to use as loaners for buddies that can't afford AR's and AK's.  Who knows what the future holds....

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2008, 06:39:29 AM »
I put my SKS in a Tapco collapsable stock (AR type) and used the 20 round Tapco mags (these were designed from the ground up to actualy work, and they do) I have had zero malfunctions with the stock or mags. I can easily change it back if I want, but doubt I ever will.

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2008, 07:05:57 AM »
SKS or AK        Hmmmm     well i have owned several SKS' over the years and AK' as well ... My MAK AK shoots quite well for a AK ... And my SKS have always done well too.
 I read alot of valid points for the SKS that i agree with .. In my state you can have up to 10 rounds in the rifle and ranges i encounter here in my state dont usuasly exceed 200 yrds
 in fact 20 to 75 yrds is more the norm ... when i bought my second hunting rifle many years ago now it was an SKS (Norinco) and my first buck was taken that following year at 15 yards
 One and done , never shot anything but the mil spec russian out of any of my russian designed rifles.  Now as for the folding stock for the SKS i personally like them  they make for a much more compact carry into the woods and up and down the climbing stand there are a number of good optics set up for both , thou im more familiar with the ones for the SKS.
 You know i could go on forever about the good and bads about both.. I can kill deer at 200 yrds with either , with mil spec hollow points ...So i wouldnt feel under armed with either

You know .... the last SKS i owned was what i came to call my AKS , last ditch effort to get around the asslt weap ban drove norinco to make a SKS with a 16" barrel that used a 5 round detachable AK mag with a crappy chunk of would loosely chipper into the form of a thumb hole stock ....folding stocked and high capped (the right way) SKS  what more could one want lol .. Unefortunetly for us there arent alot of examples of the config out there ,thou i saw one in the papper a couple weeks ago and if not for my new colt ar would have snatched it up ..
                                   thats my choice  !   a AKS  !

i know i cheated :P       

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2008, 05:12:44 AM »
I hear the new SKS Tapco 20 round mags work great.  Polymer (looks kinda like the plastic used on a PMAG).  Also the Tapco T-6 stock for the SKS is a great way to preserve the wood furnature if your a collector/hunter type.

I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."