Author Topic: Beware of where you purchase Mueller Scopes  (Read 1022 times)

Offline boaman88

• Trade Count: (0)
Beware of where you purchase Mueller Scopes
« on: April 08, 2008, 06:53:11 AM »
I ordered one of the APV scopes this week from E Arthur Brown Company. They neglected to state that these scopes are not rated for "Heavy Magnum Rifles" as clearly stated on Muellers website. I emailed Mueller about this issue and they responded quite quickly with an honest reply. E Arthur Brown Company will allow me to return the scope but only after being charged a shipping fee. Sounds like poor business practice to me when you copy the manufacturers description word for word on your own website and manage to leave out one sentence that makes a big difference to potential buyers. Its far easier to lose a customer than to attract a new one.

This certainly ends all my future business with E Arthur Brown Company. Beware that the 97D scope under their name is based on the APV scope and most likely is not suitable for magnum rifles either even though I'm sure they would not state so even if they know it. Its a shame that retailers in the firearms industry are so willing to give themselves a bad name. I guess its not enough that the anti-gun crowd tries to give us a bad name.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Beware of where you purchase Mueller Scopes
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 06:44:05 PM »
EAB was once an advertiser on this site. Due to their business practices which did not meet my standards for GBO Sponsors they no longer are. That should tell you a bit about dealing with them. I'm not trying to tell anyone who to do business with and who not to but as for me I will never again do any business of any sort with them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 07:40:36 AM »
You always hear "Waterproof, fogproof and shockproof."

What does "shockproof" mean?
electric shocks, short drops, magnum caliber recoil, what?
Got:
Handi VP 22/410, 410, 20, 17M2, .223, 357MAX, 50cal ML SS w/MU plug

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 03:38:35 PM »
Don't know what kind of rifle you have but the mueller apv stands up to a 7.62 x54r with 203 grainers just fine.  I don't do business with anyone who charges restocking fees etc.  It's just another way to cheat customers in my opinion. There are too many companies that will pay for the shipping both ways if you are not satisfied.   If it were me, I would have sold it and never bothered with that company again. 

Offline WayneJessie

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 04:09:14 PM »
Mueller will not warranty any scope that they determine has been damaged by recoil. I got that strait from one of their "tech reps". If you mount one on a Howitzer and never have a problem good for you. If you mount one on a .22 and their opinion is that it was damaged by recoil you are S.O.L. Personally, i'm more than willing to pay more for a scope that was not made in China by a 4ft. tall communist. There are other lower-priced scopes of better quality that aren't made by Red China.

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 04:49:04 PM »
I have 3 Muellers and I think they are pretty good scopes for the money.  If I mounted one on a .22 or any other rifle that I own and it failed and I did not outright abuse it, I would expect them to stand behind it.  So far as I have heard, they have an excellent reputation for value and customer service.  I don't believe "their opinion of being damaged by recoil" voids the warranty.  That's absurd for a scope company.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline Mueller Optics

• GBO Sponsor
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.muelleroptics.com
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 01:34:36 AM »
Mueller will not warranty any scope that they determine has been damaged by recoil. I got that strait from one of their "tech reps". If you mount one on a Howitzer and never have a problem good for you. If you mount one on a .22 and their opinion is that it was damaged by recoil you are S.O.L. Personally, i'm more than willing to pay more for a scope that was not made in China by a 4ft. tall communist. There are other lower-priced scopes of better quality that aren't made by Red China.

That was takin totally out of context!
If the scope fails due to a manufacturer's defect, which includes recoil, its covered by the warranty... Even though we don't "recommend" the APV on high recoil rifles, its still covered if it fails no matter what rifle its mounted on. I never said the APV scope wont hold up, however I did and am saying I don't recommend it for heavy recoil rifles, which includes anything with muzzle energy of 3000 ft/lbs and above and that basically includes a 300 caliber and above. My goal by this recommendation is to minimize the risks and because I would hate to see anyone be subjected to all the associated shipping charges back and fourth should it fail. Its only a "recommendation" and when I received the original call that's exactly what I said, "I dont recommend it for a 300 Win Mag"... I am being honest here because I care about my customers and company reputation, is that wrong?

MO

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 03:04:16 AM »
Muller Scopes are a great buy for the money.
I doubt WayneJesse has had a chance to try them, or he wouldn't write that.

Lots of crap is made in China, this isn't one of them.
Got:

Offline boaman88

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 06:25:43 AM »
Let me make myself clear, I'm not blaming or faulting Mueller in this situation at all. As stated, they quickly and quite honestly replied to my question. Its also clearly stated on their website. I don't like it however when a retailer fails to post the full specs that are available. Had I seen Muellers website prior to making my choice I would have chosen a different scope. I applaud Muellers honest approach with their product. I just wish the retailer had been a little more understanding in this situation. I also emailed Sportsmans Guide about this spec and they replied quickly and stated that their marketing department would be made aware. I don't want to spread hate against anyone, I just want to help others to avoid the same problem and make the proper choice.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 09:39:25 AM »
The next time you order something, it may pay you to read the return policy.  That is the first thing I do.  Many companies will pay for shipping both ways if you are not satisfied.  I say again if you haven't sent it back, try selling it on this forum or another auction site.  You can get you money back without having to deal with that company again.  You maybe able to trade even for a scope that you want.  I once sneered at Mueller mainly out of ignorance, and my experience with things from China.  Then I ordered one and liked it so much, I ordered another. I'm a believer.  If you're listening Mueller, I want to buy a hat in camo.  Do you offer them?

Offline snapcrackpop

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Baloo - blue weim
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 10:04:19 AM »
So you going to sell the Muller AVP, return it or keep it?
Got:

Offline boaman88

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2008, 10:55:49 AM »
Already sent it back. Have a nice letter to the owner of the company typed up to go in the mail today. Figured if I emailed it the sales dept crew would just delete it. After the way they treated me on the phone I would rather they loose the sell than pass it on too someone else. Thanks for the suggestions anyway. Next time I want a Mueller scope I will order direct from Mueller.