Author Topic: two questions  (Read 664 times)

Offline daddyof4

• Trade Count: (0)
two questions
« on: April 07, 2008, 07:40:33 AM »
I am a newbie to casting. I am using the 250 k from rcbs for 44 cal. I have been using WW with linotype mixed in. I am getting 250-259 what weight do you start to scrap at? Will lee alox hold up under this bullet with 9 grains of unique?

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: two questions
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 02:44:35 PM »
allox should work at those velocity 2 grains up or down should hurt anything and if your only shooting at under 50 yards any  of them will do fine. But you really need to practice your casting technique and get a little more consistancy. As cast using an alloy with tin in it your bullets should  be varying more the 2 grains up or down to start with.
blue lives matter

Offline daddyof4

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 05:08:31 PM »
Lloyd,
 Thanks for the reply. I need to buy some tin or some alloy I believe Midway has it. I have started using ,ore linotype and now my weights are 250-255 so I am getting there. I rolled the bullets in the alox and have also tried to put some in a shallow pan and set them up to the groove. Any tips would be well  received but of course scrutinized. Thanks again for help

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 12:41:35 AM »
one thing you might want to try with staight wws is to run your mold a tad hotter and maybe even your lead a little hotter. You will get your best results with that alloy buy casting bullets that are frosted. Lineotype makes nice shinny bullets because the tin added allows you to get better fillout and that allows a little lower temp which gives shinny bullets. Run your mold just at the point that if you ran even a tiny bit faster youd be smearing your spruces. Casting at those temps you do have to be careful dropping your bullets from the mold as they can still be soft and get damaged. Drop them onto a bunch of rags. Or if you want even harder bullets drop them into a bucket of water. If you havent been told yet water and lead DO NOT MIX so be careful the bucket is far enough away from your pot that you dont spash water into your lead. Casting good bullets is mostly a matter of matching the casting temp and the rythm you cast at to the alloy your using. Its tough to explain how to do it in writing. What it takes is just experience. After a while your brain will adjust alot of it automaticaly just by looking at your bullets as you cast. Having fun is the important part. Dont get anal about things at first. the fine points will come. Most any bullet you cast will shoot well out of your gun. I used to inspect and weight all my bullets and throw rejects back but found that weighting them means about notihng in a handgun and my buddy showed me groups with the ugliest of my first bullets that amazed me. He got mad at me for throwing them back and no i just give them to him to blast up. He teases me all the time that i dont ever give him a good bullet.
blue lives matter

Offline daddyof4

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 05:32:02 AM »
I will defiantly try the straight  wws as my wife got me the pot and moulds to save money. Thank you for your info. The fun is DEFIANTLY there in spades.  My mom has a guy at work that was an old school printer, so I think I have some lino-type.  I will keep you posted.

Offline crabo

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 02:41:27 PM »
Get all the lino you can, even if you don't think you will use it all.  You can sell it or trade it later, and the value of it will only go up.

Crabo