Author Topic: Pheasants this year ?  (Read 1605 times)

Offline Two Bears

• Trade Count: (10)
  • A Real Regular
Pheasants this year ?
« on: August 10, 2008, 06:59:28 PM »
Well with all of Iowa's flooding I wonder if we will have any pheasants this year.
What are the bird number forcast for this fall?

What are you seeing out there?
HAVING A LIBERAL ALONG IS LIKE LOSING 2 GOOD MEN

Offline Pumah25

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Pheasants this year ?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 04:27:55 AM »
The forecast ain't pretty. Flooding is only part of the problem though. Ethanol and ground flying out of the CRP to meet the demand is going to decimate us for the foreseeable future. On top of that we had 2 huge ice storms last year and record snowfall and the populations weren't great before all of this. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but... that is how I see it.
-Pumah

Offline IOWA DON

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 05:54:18 AM »
Over the past 10 years or so the pheasant population in southwest Iowa, where I usually hunt has been getting lower, lower, and lower. One year, maybe 15 years ago or so I got 60 birds during the season. Last season I got only 6 and of those, 3 were from one hunt in the north central part of the state. Again there was cool rainy weather during nesting time (bad conditions). Also, over the years, many small trees near fields have gotten larger and are good perching places for birds of prey. And, there is not much trapping going on so there are lots of raccoons, skunks and possums to eat eggs during nesting season. I think that for southwest Iowa the only hope would be good weather conditions during nesting season for several years in a row.

Offline Pumah25

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 09:33:37 AM »
Don,
I agree we used to limit out by 10 am (15 years ago) now we walk all day and if you shoot once or twice you had a great day.