Author Topic: Reloading for 30 carbine  (Read 281 times)

Offline jpuke

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
Reloading for 30 carbine
« on: April 17, 2008, 01:54:37 AM »
I got myself a 30 carbine and I'm wondering if there's anything extra I need to know about reloading for it.  For an M1 they say you can't use slower powders or you'll bend the op rod, is there anything similar with the carbine? 

Just looking at the Hodgdon info, there's two powders that run near the same amount of pressure (H4227 and H110) but Lil' Gun loads have lower pressure for the same velocity.  Any help appreciated.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: Reloading for 30 carbine
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 02:21:28 AM »
I have used nothing but Alliant 2400 in mine with good results.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Reloading for 30 carbine
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 05:51:21 AM »
I've loaded quite a few rounds for the carbine, they are great little guns, very reliable and trouble free, and some can even be quite accurate. I've generally used the cheap Berry's Bullets for plinking and the Speer 110 grain "varminter" HPs for serious work. I've taken a couple of white tails and one coyote with those bullets and they perform perfectly, a 30/06 could have done no better. For powders I like 4227, H110 and AA-9. It will save a lot of bother if you get a carbide size die since you will probably be loading a lot of ammo. The biggest problem, really the only problem, is finding the brass which tends to scatter over a wide area. You do need to keep brass trimmed to a consistent length.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.