Author Topic: RCBS micrometer question  (Read 334 times)

Offline leverfan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
RCBS micrometer question
« on: April 16, 2008, 06:57:57 AM »
Howdy, folks.  This question came up over on the classifieds.  Does anybody know where the RCBS mechanical digital micrometer is made?  Mine doesn't have any sticker or stamping on the micrometer or the wooden case it came it.  I don't have the original package, and RCBS's website doesn't have the answer.  My email to them hasn't gotten a response yet, maybe because their filters blocked it.  I think that the original package might be the best way to find out where the micrometer was made, because even if there was a sticker or something on the case, it might just refer to the manufacturing site for the case, and not the tool.

Many thanks to anyone that can answer this one.
NRA life member

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: RCBS micrometer question
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 07:23:38 AM »
Call RCBS Customer Service at 1-800-533-5000.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 09:44:13 AM »
Do not be surprised if it is a Pacific rim country. I do not have an RCBS caliper so I am not sure where they are made, mine was made in Japan. I have other RCBS products that are made in China. There are many American companies that farm out some of their products or part of their products over seas or across our boarders. It is a global economy, so companies go where they can get it done the cheapest.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 11:07:17 AM »
Here's a section of a product report from 2001 stating the RCBS micrometers & calipers are indeed made in China. Unless things have changed, I'd say LaOtto222 hit 'er right.

"RCBS was one of the first to offer dial calipers with their name on them and now they've added to that line with electronic LCD calipers and micrometers. Obviously, RCBS doesn't make these things in lovely Oroville; they're imported. These are from China."
souce: a handgun magazine

Bill

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 11:17:56 AM »
If you read the RCBS micrometer reviews at Midway, although there are only two for each, the least expensive one got the best reviews, one sells for $43, the other for $93.

Tim

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductreview.exe/GetReviews?productid=880559

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductreview.exe/GetReviews?productid=897310
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain