Author Topic: Minnesotans Pay for Muslim School  (Read 288 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Minnesotans Pay for Muslim School
« on: April 16, 2008, 12:12:33 PM »
http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/Minnesotans_Muslim_school/2008/04/14/87758.html

By: Newsmax Staff  Article Font Size   

Minnesota taxpayers are footing the bill for a charter school that reportedly violates the law by promoting religion — Islam.

Tarek ibn Ziyad Academy (TIZA) in Inver Grove Heights regularly holds prayer sessions and includes study of the Koran in its curriculum, even though charter schools are public schools and must not endorse or promote religion, according to columnist Katherine Kersten of the Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune.

She writes: “TIZA has many characteristics that suggest a religious school. It shares the headquarters building of the Muslim American Society of Minnesota, whose mission is ‘establishing Islam in Minnesota.’ The building also houses a mosque. TIZA's executive director, Asad Zaman, is a Muslim imam, or religious leader, and its sponsor is an organization called Islamic Relief.”

Zaman maintains that TIZA is not a religious school, and that prayer is voluntary.

But Kersten says a substitute teacher who worked at the school told her that students were taken to the bathroom to perform “ritual washing,” then were led into the gym where a man dressed in white with a white cap led them in prayer.

“The prayer I saw was not voluntary,” the teacher told Kersten, adding that students were studying the Koran, “which gave me the impression that Islamic Studies was a subject like any other.”

The ACLU of Minnesota has begun an investigation of TIZA, and the Minnesota Department of Education has also launched a review, according to Kersten, who concludes:

“TIZA is skirting the law by operating what is essentially an Islamic school at taxpayer expense…

“There's a double standard at work here — if TIZA were a Christian school, it would likely be gone in a heartbeat.”

© 2008 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Minnesotans Pay for Muslim School
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 01:20:50 PM »
Minnesota is a liberal run state and will do anything to promote diversity. They are 100% correct about that if this was a Christian school it would be shut down immediately. The metro area of Minnesota gets none of my support. I would like to see out state MN secede from the merto.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.