Author Topic: Loose primer pockets?  (Read 681 times)

Offline hotburn76

• Trade Count: (0)
Loose primer pockets?
« on: April 14, 2008, 02:28:15 PM »
I have a 100 Hornady 204 cases that I have been reloading.  These were factory loaded ammo and I have reloaded them maybe five or six times.  When I first started loading them I never noticed it.  I am using a lee hand primer so I have a pretty good feel as I am loading them.  This time when I loaded up some the primers went in real easy, kinda like to easy maybe.  Is this a first sign of cases at the end of life?  And is this ok to have a primer in with out a bunch of seating force?  Thanks guys.

Offline KN

Re: Loose primer pockets?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 02:32:35 PM »
I would go ahead and use it one more time. But yes it probably is near its end. Six or seven times isn't bad for brass life.   KN

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 03:09:42 PM »
As long as the primers stay in you should be good for this loading , I too use the Lee and like to have just a slight push of the thumb to seat the primers , thats why i true up my pockets before loading the first time , less chance of crushing one .

It does sound like your getting close to case life , just keep an eye on them and check before you prime again , with a hotrod like the 204 about 6 loads is normal .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 05:50:40 PM »
Primer pockets getting loose after so few firings is one of the more reliable indications your pressures are WAY too high. How much too high? No way to tell but primer pockets should normally last 20 or more firings at normal pressures so when they give up so soon you should first suspect pressures are too high.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 05:02:52 PM »
Graybeard +1

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 02:26:54 AM »
While i agree that it is a sign of too much pressure it could also be a sign of soft or weak brass  , I have run into this in some Winchester cases for 270 and 218 Bee , both were loaded with mid level loads , the 270 only made 4 loadings while the 218 made it to 7 loads . Have not heard of any problems with Hornady 204's but it is possable .

Wonder what load he has been using in these cases ?

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 09:44:42 AM »
Greybeard +2
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline hotburn76

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 11:00:47 AM »
While i agree that it is a sign of too much pressure it could also be a sign of soft or weak brass  , I have run into this in some Winchester cases for 270 and 218 Bee , both were loaded with mid level loads , the 270 only made 4 loadings while the 218 made it to 7 loads . Have not heard of any problems with Hornady 204's but it is possable .

Wonder what load he has been using in these cases ?

stimpy

They where loaded with BLC-2 shooting 40 V-MAX.  I had loaded up 40 rounds going from the min to the max according to the info I have from the web.  I have about five or six that felt this way out of the forty cases, maybe they where the last five that were loaded on the top end?

Also, seen this discussed in another thread but wanted to ask.  Some of the signs that guys have told me to watch for like flat primers and stuff with the cases, is this info not good, I could tell a difference from the starting loads to the max loads with the primers, max loads looked kinda flat compared to the starting loads.  Is this all myth as far as things to look for?

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 01:40:56 PM »
No it's really not good info yes it really is mostly myth.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 04:38:02 PM »
Again, Graybeard +1

You can see the pressure rise in your primer as shown by the degree of flatness, but you can't tell anything other than the pressure is getting higher. Several reasons for that, but the shortest one is that some primers are 'tougher' than others so it takes more pressure to create 'the same amount of flatness' than say a primer made of softer material. Not wrong, just different. Likewise, some primers are hotter than others, within the same category; ie. standard, magnum, benchrest, etc. All this creates a different picture as you look at the spent primer and try to evaluate the pressure. It's about an excercise in futility.
When the primer falls on the ground as the case is extracted, I consider that a pretty fair sign that things have gone over the top. You really don't need to go there. Sticky extraction has been given as a sign of high pressure, but lots of stuff can cause sticky extraction, including a simple need of a good cleaning.

Best I can offer is get a good manual and read all it's tips for handloading, follow it as a guide to find what your rifle likes for accuracy and realistic performance, then shoot and shoot and learn to read and listen to your rifle - it will talk to you. I for one do not care for the 'get a chronograph and keep your velocity within the scope of the manual' guidance mainly because each rifle is an entity unto itself, which is why none of the manuals agree with each other over powder charge and velocity. You can easily get off course using a 'loose manual' with a 'tight' chambered rifle, and get into an over pressure situation.

Years ago, like a lot of my peers, I hotrodded everything I got my hands on. One rifle in particular, my favorite, has never had a sticky extraction, but...did dump a primer on the ground and the muzzle blast was fierce and the 'sound' was about above my threshold of hearing - with my earmuffs on. Didn't load it that hot any more. Another of my favorites will stick a case in the chamber on a hot day with anywhere near a max manual load. Changed to a powder with less temperature sensitivity and held it down a touch. We have to learn what works and be patient and totally aware of what is going on and stay safe.

We really don't need every ounce of performance that is built into our weapons. It's amazing what a low pressure load will do in the hunting field, if we will learn to shoot our chosen weapon proficiently, and learn to be 'hunters' not just 'shooters'. I've shot enough elk, deer, and antelope under 100 yards to know it can be done, and enough over 250 yards to know I can do that also, but don't need to. As a side benefit, they are a lot easier to find when they are down under 100 yards.

You are on a journey, and it's a great education. Happy handloading.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater