Author Topic: My thoughts on handloading  (Read 495 times)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
My thoughts on handloading
« on: April 17, 2008, 04:11:20 AM »
Despite what some think , handloading is not an exact science , just because the manual states that you can load ( x ) amount of ( x ) powder and get ( x ) FPS with ( x ) bullet and have ( x ) PSI or CUP does not mean that is what you will get in your firearm , the powder and bullet companies well be the first to admit that these are Averages . That is why they show SD ( standard deviation ) of FPS .

Over the years we have been told that there are certain things to look for as far as high & low pressure signs go , most of that info has been proved to be just maybes and conjecture , Granted some do hold true , for example if you open the bolt of a rifle and your primer falls out , it is a good indication that you are running way too high on your pressures , However just because you have a case that sticks or is hard to remove does not necessarily mean that you have a high pressure problem , it could be a simple case of you forgot to remove the sizing lube from the brass before you shot that round ( been there - done that ) .

Another example is when you seat a primer it feels diffrent from another , this could be explained in more than one way , not always because your pressures are too high , just switching brands or type of primers could also explain this . ( see chart )

http://www.jamescalhoon.com/primers_and_pressure.php

If you were using say Federal 200 small rifle at a cup dia. of .1757 and then switched to Fed. 205M with a cup dia. of .1744 for a difference of .0013 , there is a chance that when you seat the 205M you will feel a difference in how much pressure you need to seat that primer .

Soot around the case mouth and neck has always been a good indcation of a low pressure round , just for the fact that the brass is not being pushed to completely fill the chamber and allows the gas to flow back around the case . so you can see that not always what we have been told is the only way to explain things .

Any time you change a component , be it bullet type or style , powder charge , case brand , primer brand or style , COL or Firearm , you are changing the numbers , so we as handloaders need to remember that the printed data is a guide not an exact . Another thing that we need to do is cross check the info that we use , not always is the data given the same from source to source .

So please use common sense and remember to double check all data you use .

Richard
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline beemanbeme

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: My thoughts on handloading
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 07:55:38 AM »
Can I hear an AMEN!  :D

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 07:32:27 PM »
As a general rule for dosing medications in pediatric patients, we will not use it unless we can find two sources to support the info.  I use the same concept to my loads if can not find two sources to support the info then I don't use it.  These need to be good sources too.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 08:30:04 PM »
Stimpy-

AMEN!! 40 years of handloading tells me there is nothing that needs to be added to your post except, "well stated" !

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 12:11:19 AM »
Well stated Stimpy. The more I know, the more I don't know. I also use as many sources as possible and work with it the best I can. I really like to hand load and the one thing I have found out for sure; nothing is for sure, just too many variables.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline sdb777

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 01:24:34 AM »
Cool!

A condensed version of the first nine chapters that never get read in any reloading manual.  And it's easy to read!

Scott (can we do internal ballistics next) B
Custom Cartridge pens available.....

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 02:04:25 AM »
Good post Stimpy,
Thanks!