Author Topic: Inconsitant accuracy  (Read 454 times)

Offline NAM70

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Inconsitant accuracy
« on: April 19, 2008, 01:41:17 PM »
I went out to the range today and did some more shooting with the 204. So far I'm just shooting Hornaday 32 grain factory loads and they're somewhat on the hot side. All my 204 reloading stuff is still on backorder. I've read that Handi's don't like the hot stuff so this might be part of the problem. The weather was beautiful but the accuracy was very inconsistent-not very good at all. I've been putting rounds on paper for a long enough time to know the problem isn't all mine. Anyhow when I got home I decided I was going to take a good look at this rifle. The forearm was freefloated all the way except for the plastic spacer which pinched on the barrel tightly. After some sanding I have that part floated too. I know I should have shot without the forearm but I forgot to bring a screwdriver :-[ Anyhow hopefully this will help. Dave

Offline darat100

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (79)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Inconsitant accuracy
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 02:16:15 PM »
Dave

Hopefully that fixes your problem.  My 204 absolutely LOVES the hornady 32 gr.  I gave up loading for it because I couldn't even get close to what I get with the hornady.

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 02:47:42 PM »
Dave

Hopefully that fixes your problem.  My 204 absolutely LOVES the hornady 32 gr.  I gave up loading for it because I couldn't even get close to what I get with the hornady.
I do understand what you are saying. I have about 99% of my reloading stuff together. I can shoot under MOA with my Rem SPS Varmint 243 with factory Hornady 58 Grain Molly coated rounds at 300 yards. I am very hope full I can find a load to do the same thing. Only time will tell. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 05:09:30 PM »
The 32gr Hornady  bullet is the design load for the 204 and it will shoot well
in almost any 204 rifle. The 32gr is also ideal for the 1-12" twist of the Handi.
Some of the 40gr bullets will not stabilize in a 1-12" twist, specially when they are not loaded to the highest recommended velocity and pressure.

So if you have any trouble with this ammo you need to look at the rifle and its parts. The problems can be numerous, so look at the accurizing features
in the FAQ.
Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.