Author Topic: Leupold rifle scopes  (Read 966 times)

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Leupold rifle scopes
« on: March 15, 2008, 11:23:14 AM »
I have heard of some gunshops that have dropped the Leupolds from their inventory because of too many problems with them.  They said the lifetime warranty works as advertised but is more of a hassle than just selling some other brand.  One shop has started handling mainly Nikon and another is a dealer for Sightron.   Anybody have any intelligent input on this subject?   I have had three leupold scopes and just recently had to send one in for warranty work, it would no longer hold zero after less than six years.  I recieved an e-mail from company it is on it's return voyage and hope when I get it back it is fixed.  This scope has been mounted on several different rifles, none of which were monsters.  On the other hand, I have a Nikon Buckmaster mounted on a 338RUM that has never shaken loose that has been there for about 8 years and was on a 7STW for a short time before that. 

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Re: Leupold rifle scopes
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 02:53:39 PM »
I haven't heard anything like that.  I have 10 or 20 Leupold scopes; no complaints from me.  I did buy an old 2x7 Compact that I wanted to put on my dedicated back-up rifle (a M-7 in 7/08).  It had a separation (?) in the objective lens, looked like a bubble when you looked at it.  Got it dirt cheap just to try Leupold's guarantee.  I called them, tried to explain the scope was decades old, they would have to rebuild the whole thing and so on andonandon.  The guy just kept saying "send it back."  I did, they rebuilt the thing and sent it back to me in half the time they estimated in the written receipt of scope notice they sent me.  I almost felt like I got a new scope!  You won't hear anything bad about Leupold from me!  But then, nothing lasts forever... :P
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline victorcharlie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 04:17:13 PM »
No problems at all here with the several Leupold's I own.....

I don't know why the shop dropped Leupold, but I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with quality or customer service.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 04:34:39 AM »
I have not heard of Leupold's quality going down. They are pricey compared to much of their competition.  If you factor in most hunters don't shoot much, I can see why many won't pay for a Leupold vs other brands. Stores want to sell things, not stock them.  How honest folks are is a matter of personal choice.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline bigdaddytacp

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 06:33:00 PM »
I have heard of some gunshops that have dropped the Leupolds from their inventory because of too many problems with them.  They said the lifetime warranty works as advertised but is more of a hassle than just selling some other brand.  One shop has started handling mainly Nikon and another is a dealer for Sightron.   Anybody have any intelligent input on this subject?   I have had three leupold scopes and just recently had to send one in for warranty work, it would no longer hold zero after less than six years.  I recieved an e-mail from company it is on it's return voyage and hope when I get it back it is fixed.  This scope has been mounted on several different rifles, none of which were monsters.  On the other hand, I have a Nikon Buckmaster mounted on a 338RUM that has never shaken loose that has been there for about 8 years and was on a 7STW for a short time before that. 
........The problem that one dealer I know has with Leupold is that they started selling them at Wal Mart and the rifleman-series of lower  price scopes cutting into their sales/profit .......I haven't seen/heard of any great change in quality or problems.....except from the benchrest crowd that is shooting such small consistant groups that hundredths of a inch in movement, make them upset with their scopes......Burris has been getting knocks for customer service lately and Nikon has picked up a larger share due to name recongnition with quality cameras and lens..... I use Nikon cameras and lens and Leupold scopes ............good luck and good shooting with a clear-reliable scope!!!!!

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 01:17:28 AM »
I've always been told that Leupold protects it's dealers by enforcing a pricing policy.

One dealer can't price below another.

I think if you'll look, there won't be big fluctuations in the price of Leupolds, and I've never heard of a "sale" or discounted Leupold.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 05:33:04 AM »
I don't think there are any "Fair Trade" policies anymore.  I may be wrong... probably am...  ;)
I do know that when Leupold discontinued their Vari-X line Bass Pro Shop had all their Vari-X's on sale and I bought a few 3x9x40's.
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 03:48:35 AM »
I only buy Leupold, new or old.  If they are broke, I send them in for a new replacement or fixed like new, no hassles ever.

The only other (Weaver & Burris) scopes are because they were part of a combo, either free or near free compared to the overall guns scope price.

I have a BSA 4x on my Gamo Hunter 440 pellet rifle, seems ok, but only paid $99 for the combo.

I don't buy Tasco, Bushnell or Simmons ever.

yooper77

Offline Catfish

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 11:53:53 AM »
I bought my first Leupold scope in 1968. It was a 4X and I put it on a Browning Take Down, .22 semi-auto. It went through a car wreck and came out looking back and down instead of down the barrel. Looks like someone wore out a chisel on it. It`s been on several gun since and still works like it did when it was new. I`m now up to about 30 Leupold scopes. I have rifle scopes in fixed power from 2 1/2X to 36X and variables from 2 x 7 to 8 1/2 x 25. I have both 2 and 4X fixed handgun scopes and some 2 1/2 x 8 X handgun scopes. I`ve got acouple that I`ve haven`t found a gun to put them on yet, and have them on .22 rimfire, both rifle and handgun`s and centerfire rifles and handguns. I have had trouble with 1 scope. It was a 24X that was on a 16 lb. gun and I dropped it on the bell of the scope. I haven`t got it sent back yet as I still have a spare on the shelf, but will get to it.