Author Topic: You will enjoy these photos...  (Read 766 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
You will enjoy these photos...
« on: April 25, 2008, 05:44:20 AM »
Objects next to WD40 can are remains of a bronze barrel that a buckskinner filled within an inch of muzzle with powder, then stuffed in wet newspaper as tight as he could.  He did not know what kind of powder he had put in.  I will be very wary of buckskinners from now on.

The iron one was found buried on a riverbank during some excavation in Ohio.  I told them it was a 19th C. salute gun of the type used at political rallies etc., since I have seen ones with similar highly-flared muzzle that have been documented to have been used at political rallies.  For unknown reasons, most cast-iron salute guns in this size range are muzzle-heavy; does anyone know why they were made like that? 

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: You will enjoy these photos...
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 06:36:21 AM »
It's sad the way some people abuse things!
 Someone here would have been willing to give it a good home before it's untimely end.
Whats interesting is the barrel failed right along where the casting seam would be.
I guess now it's beware of buck-skinners bearing cannons!
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 09:25:23 AM »
did he use bp or nc based powder ??

or maybe he dont know the difference .

ok , hope all agree when I say that the last idiot aint born yet .

this is so typical what can and will happened when people dont know what they are doing .
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 09:49:46 AM »
The iron one was found buried on a riverbank during some excavation in Ohio.  I told them it was a 19th C. salute gun of the type used at political rallies etc., since I have seen ones with similar highly-flared muzzle that have been documented to have been used at political rallies.  For unknown reasons, most cast-iron salute guns in this size range are muzzle-heavy; does anyone know why they were made like that?

Maybe it was to counteract all the hot air...

;D

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 11:22:34 AM »
Aw yes the olds wives tail, you can't load to much black powder. What looks like a beautiful old cannon destroyed by ingorance.  For the most part the folks that play buckskinneer/mountain man/rendzvous are chock full knowlwged of the history and old ways. But there is a fringe element, of pure ignorance that seem to hang around those guys.  It's sad.

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 04:53:33 PM »
That's too bad, looked like a nice cannon...
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 07:07:47 PM »
The exploded barrel looks like it was once an 1841 six-pounder replica.

It was probably once a very nice cannon. And if that's a standard sized can of WD-40, a fairly substantial chunk of bronze. It would have likely given a lifetime (or more) of service had it not been subjected to such gross abuse.

What really chaps my butt is that I want a ¼-scale bronze 1841 in the worst way, but just can't afford it right now (and probably not in the foreseeable future).

And here this one is, blown to pieces in an act of ignorance...