Author Topic: Is the .38 special enough self-defense gun?  (Read 9645 times)

Offline Blowtorch53

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Is the .38 special enough self-defense gun?
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2008, 09:25:33 AM »
Dusty,

YES!

DeWayne
"That God could and would if He were sought"

Offline DCRthe3rd

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2008, 07:05:43 PM »
I believe that the 38 spl , much like the 9mm  greatly benefits by the proper bullet , but then again , what doesn't?

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2008, 01:31:55 AM »
Food for thought , Wild Bill considered by some as one if not the best gun fighter the west ever knew carried a pair of 36 cal. hand guns . I can't believe a round ball was better than a 158 gr. lead SW . I think that a well placed 38 is effective as long as the shooter is capable of putting the shot where it needs to be . The shooter must know where the shot will have the best effect and put it there !  W.M. Bell killed over a thousand elephant with a 6.5 and 7 mm rifle , he did so because he knew exactly where to place the shot . Wild Bill also was clam and placed his shot .
My point - its most important to put the bullet where it will do the best job .
No bullet / cartrige has a 100% one shot stop record , so it makes sence to use a round that is a blance between power and second shot capablity .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Win 73

• Avid Poster
« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2008, 04:13:52 PM »
James Butler (aka Wild Bill) Hickock did pretty well using a brace (two) of 1851 Navy Colts.  They were .36 caliber and significantly less powerful than the .38 Special.  In fact he killed his first man (Dave Tutt) with one shot at 75 yards.  He was an excellent shot and would fire, clean and reload his pistols every day.
"When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace."  Luke 11:21

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2008, 02:30:39 AM »
He was shooting B/p and if he didn't clean each time , he wouldn't shoot again, such is the pain of B/p. 

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2008, 11:33:43 PM »
  Just avoid the rumors. Most of which are started by trying to hide the fact that the actor can't shoot straight or that the heart is not an inch above the belly button. the B-27 targets are horrible. Even with a .38 Lead Round Nose bullet, it DOES cause bleeding, it DOES cause severe wounding, and it DOES stop opponents trying to kill you. Vital organs are not skin. The lead round nose leaves about a .25 caliber hole in skin, but the hole through lungs, heart, and arteries are .358, more if at an angle since the tissue density is much different.  I love articles where it states that solid bullets just "zipped" through and just poked holes but did not cause any real damage to vitals. When someone is being paid to promote the latest and greatest hollow point bullet then you have to put down the earlier, more primitive bullet to sell the product, despite how well it "worked". Some even give the impression that if you are hit with a ball round that you can just go the the ER, get some antibiotic, and bandage it up. THAT is absurd!  If you are comfortable with a .38, in any loading, provided that it is accurate for you, carry that. Again, don't listen to the "popular" gun writer of the week. I have emailed several of them about their comments but I have NEVER received an answer. My question was..."How was self defense even available before the advent of the hollow point bullet, high velocity, and super expanding load?" I would get absolutely SLAMMED if I told ya'll the calibers that I have harvested deer with, all legal, and clean kills, but not mainstream calibers so I avoid the conflict.

My point, is that every American deserves the right to feel safe, which includes the choice of caliber and load. Confidence and accuracy will always be the deciding factor.