Author Topic: Large firing pin in SB2 frame?  (Read 632 times)

Offline Dark Tranquility

• Trade Count: (0)
Large firing pin in SB2 frame?
« on: April 20, 2008, 06:09:59 PM »
Is it possible to fit the larger firing pin into a handi rifle SB2 frame.  I have an extra rifle receiver that I want to make into a dedicated shotgun receiver.  I see that the shotgun receivers use a larger diameter firing pin (presumably for better and more reliable ignition).  I don稚 want the to use a shotgun receiver since I want this made out of tougher steel. 

What gunsmithing must I do and where could I get the parts.  Or can anyone recommend a NEF/H&R gunsmith who could do this work for me?

Thanks, Dan

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: Large firing pin in SB2 frame?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 07:24:34 PM »
As far as I can tell the only difference is the end of the pin that goes through the breach.  The fireing pin does not go through at a 90 degree angle, it is slightly angled down.  I would just measure a large pin and get a drill about .001-.002 larger and run it through from the back to the front.  Probably would be good to use it in a drill press, but it will only have to travel about .125 inch.  I have never heard of any ignition problems using a small pin however, so I think I would just try out what you have, good ignition may not be why the used a large pin.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 02:13:26 AM »
Unless you have some reason to want a large pin I would stick with the one that is in it.
Reason:
H&R doesn't change the pin when you return a SB2 frame and have a shotgun barrel fitted for it, so there should not be a problem staying with the small one.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 03:31:58 AM »
I agree, absoloutly no reason to go to a larger diameter pin to use a shotgun barrel on a rifle frame. Just shoot it as is an do not ruin it!!!....<><.... :o
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Dark Tranquility

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 03:39:36 AM »
Does anyone know of a gunsmith who can do this work for me?  I would feele better having someone with a drill press do the work. 

How is the firing pin removed anyway?

I知 trying to make a modern H&R handi gun which was their shotgun pistol made back in the 30s I believe.  Except I want it with 8 inch 12, 20, 410 guage barrels.  Since this will be registered as a short barreled shotgun I figure I want the shotgun firing pin since I would assaume the larger firing pin is more reliable with the larger primer of shotgun shells.  I知 using a rifle receiver since the receiver will be subject to greater forces due to its reduced weight.   

Sending the receiver back for gunsmithing work or having extra barrels fitted at a later point in time will not be an option since it will be registered on an ATF form 4.

Thanks for the help guys.

Dan

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 03:49:15 AM »
Dan

The Handy Gun was also made in Rifle barrels so you may want to stick with the smaller pin .

http://www.4-10.freeuk.com/mwhandygun.html

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 03:55:46 AM »
The original H&R pistols were built on a much smaller frame. Using the current frame will make a very heavy and clunky pistol. You'd do a lot better to start with a T/C frame which is built to be a pistol.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 06:35:51 AM »
The fireing pin is removed by driving out the top pin that is nearly lined up with the fireing pin.  drive out from the right side to the left.  The fireing pin and spring will come out when the pin is removed.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 11:24:25 AM »
Dark T., Let me start my saying welcome aboard to you. It is nice to have you here with us and participating. Please don't fall in the bottomless trap of assuming things, especially those that are not true and are not based on fact, experience, or knowledge.

"I would assaume (sp?) the larger firing pin is more reliable with the larger primer of shotgun shells."

You do not need a large diameter firing pin, there is nothing it will do for you any better than a smaller diameter firing pin. A large diameter firing pin will not be more relaible on shotgun shells than a smaller diameter firing pin. To do what you have asked about regarding converting a rifle receiver to use a larger diameter shotgun style firing pin is a waste of time and money. There is no reason for such a change. That is about as plan, simple, and to the point as I can say it without becoming insulting. Come often and stay late buddy, this is a great place to visit. If you still insist on doing that conversion be advised if you ever decide to use a rifle barrel on that receiver there exists the possibility of primer flow into the firing pin hole with rifles loads....<><....:) 
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline RugerNo3

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 02:36:16 AM »
The real hitch in this idea is the fact that you have a receiver that left the factory serial numbered as a long gun. It must meet the 26 inch length requirement no matter what. Barrel length of 16" if a defined rifle and 18" if a defined shotgun. This meets the 1934 gun requirements by Federal law. If it retains the long gun butt stock it may be possible to register shorter barrels, but discuss this in writing with the BATF. From the info you have supplied this board, you are entertaining thoughts of breaking federal law, wittingly or unwittingly and ignorance of the law is no defence for your actions
Please don't bring the Thompson Center Argument into this. There is no legal argument. Just contact the BATF and waste their bandwidth and keep your butt out of federal pen.
The gist is you can make a handgun into a rifle, but you CANNOT make a long gun action into a handgun.
Do your research.
"Use a big enough gun!"

Offline Dark Tranquility

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 06:28:45 PM »
I知 not planning on breaking any federal laws.  I said in my second post that it would be registered on an ATF form 4 (I actually made a mistake, it will be on an ATF form 1).
I have done my research.  NFA weapons are not new to me.  I already have half a dozen silencers, a machine gun, and 40mm grenade launcher.  To the best of my knowledge there are no federal laws preventing either of us from doing anything we want (except for manufacturing a new machine gun).  You can make a long gun in to a handgun, or a shotgun into a pistol or anything you can dream of.  You can have it in any configuration, with any barrel length, mount a grenade launcher underneath it, and top it off with a silencer.  It痴 all perfectly legal; or I would have been in federal prison a long time ago.

I知 actually thinking now of buying (as others here have suggested) a TC Encore pistol receiver for my project.  As coyotejoe said, it is made to be a pistol.  I need to look at available holsters or Encore pistols since I壇 like to have that option.  I think that this is my best bet.

I guess I値l send this extra H&R receiver in for a .357 mag barrel and make up another silenced .357 mag rifle. 

I値l keep you guys posted on the TC forum of my progress.  As of right now I知 thinking stainless TC Encore receiver on a form 1, with two 8 inch barrels, one in 12ga and one in 20ga.  When all the cutting is done I値l hard chrome the receiver and barrels including the bores.  Might even do screw in choke tubes.

Thanks to everyone for the help.  More to come!

Dan