Author Topic: .44 special in a handi?  (Read 752 times)

Offline jw83

• Trade Count: (5)
.44 special in a handi?
« on: April 24, 2008, 03:30:38 PM »
was wonderin about any experiences anybody has had shooting .44 specials in the handi's. Mainly used for deer and hogs. I don't want to shoot magnums out of it because I have a .44 special pistol, don't want to get them mixed up and blow my face off. Accuracy? Maximum range? Killing effectiveness? I reload so ammo no prob.

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
Re: .44 special in a handi?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 03:47:30 PM »
If your pistol is a 44 special, it won't chamber a 44 magnum round.  Mixing them up wouldn't be an issue. 
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mohawk

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 03:48:55 PM »
  Would be ok on deer provided that it is a double lung hit. For hogs I think it is too light. For hogs, read the cartridge headstamp, make sure it says" .44 Magnum" and use them in your .44 Mag handi. The penetration needed on a hog is riduculous sometimes, especially the large ones. I would only use a .44 Special on them if they were in a trap and then it would be through the ear. Oh, and good point, Krod47w!

Offline jw83

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 03:57:31 PM »
Thanks I'm new to reloading, I was under impression the mag would chamber. I guess the .44 special reloading dies would work for the mags?

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 04:09:46 PM »
  Don't know about that one, jw83, I don't reload. If it were not for Remington I would be sunk (; But a lot of good folks on this site do and are very good at it. Good luck and keep in touch!!! If you need tips on the .44 Special for deer give me a shout, that is all my grandfather used to hunt with out of a S&W Revolver. Unfortunately, for hogs it just doesn't work very well. Put a 2x4 in front of a Dallas Texas phone book and that is similar to a hog I have found out through informal testing in regards to penetration on a large hog.

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 04:43:51 PM »
44 mag dies do work for a 44 special.  The magnum case is made longer just for the reason you mentioned, so it can't be chambered in a 44 special.

Kevin
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline pelican717

• Trade Count: (49)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 10:56:43 PM »
Can I shoot .44specials out of my Handi .44mag barrel?
Thanks, Robert

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 01:14:29 AM »
Yes you can, just as you can shoot .38 Specials out of a .357 Magnum, but not the other way around. Good Luck and have fun....<><....:) 
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline RugerNo3

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 01:27:25 AM »
Yes, you can shoot 44spec in the Handi. The greatest danger is loading 44Spec hot and shooting them in a revolver chambered for the 44Spec.
The Handi can take pressures equal to the 44Mag loaded in 44Spec cases, but no stock factory revolver is able to absorb them. The Charter Bulldog comes to mind as well as Colt Peacemakers and S&W revolvers are time bombs for hot loaded 44Spec handloads. That's why Elmer Keith lobbied so hard to get the 44Mag as a production cartridge and it is designed .1inch long to keep it out of weak revolvers.
"Use a big enough gun!"

Offline SlimPigguns

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 03:41:24 AM »
jw83, you can reload .44mag cartridges using your .44sp dies, just a matter of resetting the flare and seating dies to the correct depths- Pete
Keep on Shooting!
Queensland AUSTRALIA

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 04:23:00 AM »
Actually, you don't even have to readjust dies when switching between special and magnum loads, just get a 7/8" flat washer and insert that under the expander and seat and crimp dies when loading magnums.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline jw83

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 04:46:34 AM »
thanks for all the info, still kind of wondering, if you were hunting deer, what is the longest shot you could take with the .44 special and the mag in the handi.  Also what kind of groups can you expect with it. All things considered, a safe load in the special and a humane kill on the deer.

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 07:10:42 AM »
  Well, my grandfather was a Dallas Police dectective and carried a S&W 4" model 21 nickel .44 Special Revolver for duty. He also used this gun for deer hunting. I am assuming that he used the standard 246 grain Lead Round Nose since this was his duty load that I read about through an archive of an incident report resulting in him killing a man in a bar that was beating his partner with a hand-held weapon(the report did not specify). The year was 1957. From hearing my uncle, who is older than my dad, my grandfather usually shot his deer at around 24-40yds. Don't know if they ran, dropped instantly, or what, my uncle did not say. But they were killed clean and were shot behind the shoulder in the lungs as this was obtained due to my uncle witnessing the bullet hole from the deer my grandfather brought home. Of course there may be variables in a rifle. I have fired many .44 Mag rounds through a rifle but never a .44 Special. My advice would be to use it a bow ranges, with 40yds or so, if you have enough accuracy. Hope this helps.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 07:42:10 PM »
I load lots of .44 mag rounds to .44 Spl ballistics for the wife to shoot in her .44 Mag rifle.  This way she gets to practice and have lots of fun, without being beat with Mag loads.  Personally I would not try and use these loads beyond 50 to 75 yards.

Had a disaster about 5 years ago.  The wife had loaded up some real hot loads in .44 Mag for her carbine, a few years earlier, for bear protection.  They did shoot well in her carbine, but you could definately tell they had more punch than her normal loads.  The load data said that they were not for use in pistols.  She marked the carton "For rifle use only".  Two moves later, I found the carton of .44 shells, the writing had been worn so bad I could no longer read it, but they were .44 Mag so I took them to the range with my Ruger Super Blackhawk.  Luckily no one was hurt, but the gun had to have a new cylinder.  Only took one shot. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.