Author Topic: H&R standard choke tubes  (Read 459 times)

Offline JonD.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
H&R standard choke tubes
« on: April 29, 2008, 05:03:51 AM »
A couple of questions for you guys: What kind of performance does one get out of the standard extra full choke tubes that come with the 12ga. turkey accessory barrels from H&R? Which is better the 24 or the 28" barrel?

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: H&R standard choke tubes
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 07:01:56 AM »
The factory X-full chokes definitely gets the job done. For the last few years I've used the 24" Turkey
barrel with xtra full choke. I never patterned it beyond 40 yards but at 40 yards it patterns incredibly
tight with either 3" or 3 1/2" Remington Nitros. Either the 24 or 28 inch barrels will serve you well
with a factory choke.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline JonD.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 06:32:26 PM »
Thanks a lot Doublebass 73. I've been pondering on whether to get a barrel for my handi, or to just spend the money and get one for my Rem. 1100. I've even thought about having my 1100 barrel fitted for a screw in choke. I'm a machinist and can do it myself.

I really like the Topper deluxe classic vent rib barrels, but the standard barrels are a lot cheaper. And then again, why not go ahead and get a barrel for my 1100 and be able to get a quick second shot if needed? I just can't make up my mind. ;D

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 12:55:40 AM »
Being that I'm biased I'm going to say get a barrel for your Handi. Chances are very slim that you'll ever get a follow up shot on a turkey so go for the single. The Deluxe Classic has the advantage of being able to mount sights on the vent rib if you need them.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783