Author Topic: laser sights for autos  (Read 797 times)

Offline ronbow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
laser sights for autos
« on: March 10, 2008, 09:48:10 AM »
I am considering getting a laser sight for my Beretta M9, the type that is fitted under the barrel. The reason for this is I am a poor shot with an automatic. I can shoot revolvers with for some reason much better than an auto. I am wondering if an integrated laser sight will make me an instant expert. I am considering either a Lasermax or crimson trace. Both of these carry a hefty price tag so I want to know if this will cure my lousy shooting.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: laser sights for autos
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 10:30:50 AM »
ronbow - nope, they won't cure your lousy shooting so save your money.  If you can hit better, more reliably and more consistently with a revolver then why the semi-auto??  None the less it is your choice and far be it from me to discourage the additional practice necessary to improve your shooting with an autoloader. 

There may be many factors to your performance with different handguns.  A lazer sight on the Beretta will just add weight and bulk and may even serve to worsen your shooting performance with that handgun. 

I do not know how you practice with your handguns but I would first suggest bench resting the handgun to determine its capability with your chosen brand of ammo.  The next step would be to work on your grip, sight picture, breath control and trigger pull.  The same principals that apply to accurate revolver shooting also apply to pistol shooting, regarding grip, sight picture, breath control and trigger pull.  JMTCW but HTH.  Mikey.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 03:14:52 AM »
What a laser will do for you is show you where your problem is with that long, heavy Beretta trigger pull.  The laser will bounce all over the target if you are not consistent and in that, it will assist you in improving your shooting.  I like a laser for a house gun, particularly for use at night, but my preferred auto is a 1911 style with a nice short, light trigger pull.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 07:06:22 AM »
I haven't tried a laser on an auto but the Crimson Trace gips on my Ruger SP-101 greatly improved my accuracy with that snubby. My 66 year old eyes just don't discern open sights like they used to and a short sight radius excerbates the problem. The laser grips brought my 25 yard groups from 4-5" with open sights down to 2" with the laser.  Do be aware however that in sunlight it can be very hard to see that laser dot and impossible on some backgrounds.
  I have a Burris Fastfire reflex sight mounted on the slide of my AMT .22 mag auto and that also offers improved accuracy and is usable under any conditions except total darkness. It only adds two ounces to the weight and mounted over the original rear sight location will still fit most holsters, perhaps with just a bit of leather removal.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 12:36:39 AM »
Ronbow - 44 Man has an excellent point about watching the red dot of a laser bounce all over the target with the long heavy trigger pull on the Beretta. 

I would add two points:  if the trigger/grip on the Beretta is not the most conducive to rapid grip/target aquisition and accurate bullet placement, it may not be the gun to keep by your bedside at night; and, if you are thinking this (laser sight) would help with your accuracy, especially in night time shooting, you may be better served with a flashlight.  Some flashlights throw such a powerful light as to be blinding to others in the darkness and give you a much larger target area to aim at. 

If the Beretta is not the most comfortable in your hand and is difficult to shoot accurately then get another 9mm.  Mikey.

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 10:21:22 AM »
I like the idea of a grip or guide rod laser aiming device on a defensive handgun. I think it should be fast on target from awkward positions where it is difficult to acquire the sights. It doesn't negate the need for a white light for target identification, it's just another tool in the box. It would also be a great aid for learning trigger control thru dryfire pratice. As 44man mentioned, you get some great instant feedback there. Don't know if I care much for the ones that fit on the rail of a pistol. Doubt that they would hold zero if taken off and on. Those I have seen have been largely useless in some lighting conditions, and on some backgrounds. I am convinced that any laser aiming device that you can buy for under $100 is probably not worth having. I don't currently own any such devices, but would consider a good one, such as the laser grips.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 10:31:52 AM »
And on the same note; I just heard that Crimson Trace is now (FINALLY!) going to offer it's laser grips for the Charter Bulldog.  Oh happy day!  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline navylawdog

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 03:33:49 PM »
44man is absolutely right that the laser is excellent practice for dry firing with snap caps. That is exactly what we did when I went through navy law enforcement school. For a week straight all day long just standing there pointing at a piece of paper with a black dot on it and squeezing the trigger. But it teaches you two things. It teaches smooth, steady double action trigger pulls and it makes you learn your gun very intimately. You learn exactly how your gun works its amount of pressure needed to depress the trigger and the exact release point of the sear for quicker follow up shots.

Navylawdog

Offline win88

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 03:33:53 PM »
go with crimson trace grips. I have them on 4 guns. I do not like the idea of hanging stuff on the end of my guns.with ct grips you do not have to buy holsters to fit. and they feel right.

Offline blhof

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 05:17:04 PM »
I also went with the crimson trace for my M9 and it's a hoot to shoot with the 30 round mag at the indoor range.  I can't see the laser at the outdoor range except at sunset and then the mosquitoes come out to play.  If you practice enough with it, you will develope a natural point (muscle memory)  I can speed shoot cans without the laser at the outdoor range now with better accuracy than I ever could.  It does take practice; I burned up 2000 rounds before I learned good trigger control with the auto, and I shoot 2" or better groups with my wheel guns.  I reload my 9's although they're cheap; it's even cheaper to reload with my own cast bullets.  I believe I'm the only person picking up 9 brass at the range; their loss my gain.

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 08:52:02 AM »
notice how blhof got better with 2,000 rds of practice. funny how practice does that.
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 08:53:34 AM »
and Ronbow, NOTHING will make you an instant expert.
SharonAnne

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 02:33:29 AM »
I have a set of crimson trace on my S&W model 411 in 40 S&W.  I actually shoot the gun more accurate with the iron sights than the lazer. Yes the lazer will get you on target faster, but not as accurate.   The only way to become a great shot is practice, practice, practice.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 06:11:43 AM »
well said RH. practice, practice and more practice.
SharonAnne