Author Topic: 17HMR TO 17 FB  (Read 542 times)

Offline NFG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
17HMR TO 17 FB
« on: April 18, 2008, 02:56:06 PM »
Some years it don't pay to even get up...I spent 3 plus hours setting up the NEF 17HMR barrel and getting the tailstock dialed in, then called 4D to rent a reamer...it's out plus another on the waiting list...There must be a homecoming dance and the 17 FB is homecoming Queen.  3 to 6 week wait possibly so my other lathe projects will just have to wait also...I'm not about to take that barrel out with all the trouble I went through getting it set up...I've had more trouble dialing in NEF barrels than any other brand...should have called first I suppose...at least the brass is in and I have plenty of time to get it prepped, plus some on order and I have 6 partial boxed of various brands and weight to play with...if I ever get the reamer.  I also wasted a 30 dollar dovetail cutter...not been a very good past couple of days. >:(

The 6 BR is doing better after tuning and shimming the frame, and Hornady 58 gr V-max's are turning in some fairly good 3 shot groups using Varget...no locking up this time...up to the 2006 Hodgdons manual max 100% density load...no chrono data yet, but should be near 3300f/s.  Total PITA with no forend...looks sorta stubby with the short barrel...the stock is actually longer than the barrel.  Really reminds me of a broom-handle Mauser with a butt-stock.

At least I got one forend rough shaped and ready for bedding and swapped the synthetic parts off the rimfire frame onto the SB2 frame.

So much for my tail of woe...and it's supposed to rain/snow for the next several days.  At least 2001 was a good year...Maybe May will be better.  :'(

'Njoy  ;D

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: 17HMR TO 17 FB
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 03:54:16 PM »
I've done two H&R's to 17 Fireball.  One was a stub project useing a Clerk barrel and one was a stock H&R 17HMR.  You will have a little trouble getting the reamer started in the HMR barrel due to the ejector cut, the reamer will probably chatter a little until you have the full sholder cut into the barrel, then it will smooth out and life will be good.  The fireball rim is almost exactly the same diameter as the cutout they use for the rim of the HMR.  I just bought a reamer off the shelf from pacific tool and gauge in oregon, floating pilot and shipped the next day for $148.00 I think.  You will need to do a little end mill work for the .223 ejector to work.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline NFG

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 09:14:12 PM »
Thanks, Larry, for the info.  I did notice the size similarity in the recess.  I have a .223 size ejector ordered from NEF that should be showing up any day.  It does look like there will be a couple of points sticking out into the slot after the chamber is cut that will need a bit of "horizontal milling" to fix.

I've had similar problems re-chambering T/C's so I drilled out to 0.343" this time...maybe the chattering will be minimal.

I can't use my "Through the barrel" coolant/lub system on this barrel...it is barely long enough to use my spider...and I had to mill 0.200" off the forearm stud to get the barrel to center...I need a lathe with a BIG hole down the headstock...1.5" just doesn't cut it sometimes.  Waiting for the Lotto to happen so I can order a new shop...and a few people to run it (and teach the old dog new tricks)...while I play with the toys they make for me.

PT&G and Dave are good people...I've used Dave's reamers quite a bit...and own a few...they always seem to cut on all flutes.  I ordered a dovetail cutter today from PT&G so I can finish the 6 BR barrel project.

Somewhere I read the 17 HMR conversion to 17 FB is doing well in the longevity department...not sure which forum...this one or Saubier.  If this barrel will last a 1000 rounds at the pressure and velocity I plan on, I will be happy as a frog eating flies.  Who knows, with one foot knee deep in the ground and the other foot on a banana peel, I might not need to think about doing another stub barrel project...hahahahahahahahaha...whoops.

In any event the software program I'm using seems to indicate no problem with using a 1137 barrel as a "receiver".  A 4140 barrel around 0.850" dia including the corresponding size 1137 receiver walls will have a 2:1 pressure safety factor...on the order of 125 Kpsi.  The 4140 barrel alone will handle a .473 size case with plenty of safety and I'm being very conservative with the yield/strength numbers for the two different steels...using the lower end numbers given for the different steels on several engineering and structure sites...AISI or ASTM listings.  I will be watching the forums as time goes by to see how this stub barreling works out.

'Njoy

Offline NFG

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 07:17:06 PM »
Hallelujah...Reamer Rentals came up with a 17 FB reamer and it should be here tomorrow or Friday.  Waiting for it forced me to finish two other stocks except for the painting...the dovetail cutter should be here by Friday so I may have 4 shooters to play with come next week.  Wonder what will go through the rat-things minds when they see me coming waving a 375 H&H, 9.3x62, 6 BR and 17 FB...maybe it will be the hooman neighbors that will be wondering and scattering.  :lol

Boy am I tired after all this work...I need a vacation...but after blowing all this cash for gun related pieces and parts, I can't even afford the gas money to get to town to rent a motel and call it a vacation...guess I'll just have to stay out here in the piney woods, build a fire, roast hot dogs and marshmallows and wonder what the rich folks are doing.  Hahahahahahaha

'Njoy

Offline NFG

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 05:00:11 PM »
It's DONE...except for shimming up the 0.006 excess headspace on the barrel and doing something about the forend not being quite tight enough against the frame.  Chamber came out spot on and a fired case measured OK except for the headspace extra length.  This thing doesn't recoil much more than the 17 HMR did. 

Totally amazing...doesn't matter how many rifles I do, it's like the first time all over again...the same with all the different engines I built over the years, M/C, boat, auto/truck, model airplane or boat...doesn't matter...everytime they fire off and you hear and feel the power, it's a total rush.  Some of you might understand the feeling.

The dentist got to do his thing...I found my paint...no dovetail cutter yet...so all is relatively well in  my world.

I might post a picture but mine looks just like the one Larry posted except for a bipod and bigger scope.  I will post a pic of the 6 BR...it looks DIFFERENT.

Hasta maņana, Luego

'Njoy

Offline NFG

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 12:25:37 PM »
Couple of pics...couldn't wait...have to go to town today so fired of 3 groups...looks like I've got a problem with the forearm, headspace or the lockup...still shows promise and much better accuracy than the 17 HMR...3800-3850 f/s with both powders...Varget and AA2230 - 19.5 gr...the ball powder measured quick and accurate...the Varget PITA...dribble, dribble, futz with +/- .2 grain spread.  Will try WW748, 322, 335...I LOVE IT.

[/