Author Topic: Pictures of modified and refinished stocks on new 20 Gauge Pardner  (Read 837 times)

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
I just got this new Pardner 20 gauge with screw in choke. I installed my English buttstock with Schnabel forend that I refinished recently.

MSP_RET modified a pistol grip palletwood buttstock into this beautiful English (Squire) style stock for me (Thanks Again Andy!!!)

I refinished it by first laying down a coat of water based Minwax rosewood stain. I then put down 2 coats of Minwax Dark Walnut oil based stain. I topped it off with 14 coats of Tru-oil. I'm very happy with the results and I'll be going to the range tomorrow to try it out.
This will be used as my all around shotgun including our upcoming turkey season.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Mohawk

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Pictures of modified and refinished stocks on new 20 Gauge Pardner
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 03:56:01 PM »
   I love the contrast between the frame and barrel. I have been wanting a new Topper that is similar but have not ordered it yet. Good job on the stock, MSP......

Mohawk.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 01:25:27 AM »
Thanks for the kind words DB and Mohawk. DB, that stock looks great finished, you did a great job on it, nice smooth finish, and I'll bet it is very weather resistant with those 14 coats of Tru-Oil, no moisture is going to get through that!! It looks as if just as we discussed putting on the water based stain before the oil based stain really worked out great, the stock came out a nice color. Enjoy it and good luck on Turkeys. Keep us posted how it works out in the woods....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 03:44:09 AM »
Yes, the color came out great Andy, thanks for the tip. I tried these 3 loads through it yesterday with the factory MOD choke:

Federal 2 3/4" #6 7/8 oz. game loads
Remington HD 3" #4 1 1/8 oz. Wingmaster
Winchester Supreme 3" #5 1 1/4 oz. turkey loads

The Remington's won and have a great pattern at all ranges up to 30 yards. I'll be using these unless I have time to buy a turkey choke and pattern some more loads. At ranges up to 20 yards the cheap Federals actually patterned better than the expensive Win turkey loads. Our season opens next Saturday so I probably won't have time to find a 20 gauge turkey choke. 30 yards is good enough for me anyway, I don't mind letting birds walk if they don't come into range, it just gives me an excuse to go hunting again the next day!

Naturally the new Pardner functioned flawlessly.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 03:33:25 PM »
The gun looks really good...Nice job guys.  Tru-Oil is good stuff.  I used it for the first time to refinish a Ruger Single Six grip a few months ago...14 coats gives it that deep look that is so attractive.  Congrats.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense