Author Topic: Pre Purchase Inspection of BC  (Read 441 times)

Offline FLS

• Trade Count: (0)
Pre Purchase Inspection of BC
« on: May 03, 2008, 11:23:48 AM »
Found a local gun store in Louisiana that has "several" 45-70 BC units on the shelf.  After having read across this site for many hours now, I was simply wondering what, if anything could I specifically look for if I visually inspected 5 or 6 of them?  I am certainly into "tweaking" my own stuff but let's face it, the better it is out of the box the more time I have for shooting . . . Thanks in advance!

Update! These are NIB guns

Offline Ireload2

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
Re: Pre Purchase Inspection of BC
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 12:15:32 PM »
One thing you can do is look through the bore to see how straight it is. It takes a bit of practice but you can learn to tell when a 34" long barrel
has a little bow in it. Other than that you will find out which way it is bowed when you sight it in unless the bow is turned up or down.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 01:28:29 PM »
FLS

Things to look for are any side to side play in the action with the barrel closed and locked and any uneven light gap at the breach face with the barrel closed , these are not good signs , the catch release should have some rattle in it with the barrel closed though , also check the crown of the muzzle for any nicks or other imperfections .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline towpro

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 03:30:10 PM »
Mine BC would start to pop open when fired after around 5 "trap door" level loads.

Just before shipping it back, I noticed if its closed, and you hit the action (top up) so the hinge hits your leg (kind of like breaking a stick over your leg), mine would pop open.  Not sure if they are supposed to do that or not.  Someone else with a Handy that that stays closed when fired might try it and tell you if this is a legitimate test or not.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 04:02:09 PM »
It should NOT open when struck over your leg in that fashion....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Bison Butt

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 04:05:33 PM »
This is just my observation over the years.

Lots of folks bought BC's and never took the time to develop loads and get what the rifle can do. They then begin to think they made a bad purchase because it only shoots so so, it is an inexpensive rifle, therefor you can't expect much,...or it ain't a Sharps.

Pick the best one, with the least use and enjoy it. They probably haven't been shot much.