Author Topic: Ohio rifle hunting  (Read 2541 times)

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
Ohio rifle hunting
« on: March 06, 2008, 03:16:24 PM »
Do you think Ohio should pass a law Like Indiana. So we could hunt deer with straight wall pistol type Cartridge Rifles?  Say 38 special up to 500 S&W?
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html

Offline stimpylu32

• Trade Count: (67)
Re: Ohio rifle hunting
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 04:00:06 PM »
I've been trying to get the boys in big C to do it for years now , just don't make any sense , you can shoot a tree rat with a 270 but not a deer with a 357 Mag rifle .

I would even be willing to settle for a divided state like Mi were part is rifle and the other is slug gun only . I would also like to see the Black Powder cartridges be allowed in say 45/70 and 38/55 . or something like Miss has with their Prim. Weapons season .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline GregP42

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 05:20:59 PM »
I would love to see that, then I could take the .41 mag marlin out hunting! But no, shotgun, pistol or muzzle loader.... can use a 50bmg on a ground hog, but no rifles on deer.

Greg
NRA Life Member
"Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety."  - Ben Franklin, 1776
Vis Sis Mis!

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 06:00:19 PM »
In my area they need to stop road hunting, not give the "hunters" more shooting options.

Offline Catfish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 10:35:09 AM »
I`ve got mixed feelings on that. The big problem here is we just have to many people and putting longer range guns in the hands of some of these fools does not make sense. I just wish they would let me use brass cases in my .410.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 01:29:06 PM »
Ooops!  This thread answered the question I asked in the Ohio "Coyote" thread!
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 04:18:05 PM »
I Might be wrong But.  How is a Rifle in a pistol cartridge a longer range gun than say. A 28" 209x50 ML using 200 gr bullet?   seems to me that the 50 Ml will shoot faster than just about any pistol cartridge Type Rifle. You can use a contender pistol in what ever length barrel,  say  a 21" 357max or a 16" 45/70. Why can't we add a stock?  Never has made good sense to me. 
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 05:06:57 PM »
I think the rifle in a pistol caliber advantage is having a repeater concept, like a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag with 10 shots on tap, a realistic advantage. No real long range advantage.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 05:16:06 PM »
it never did make sense to me either. I can shoot coyotes all day with the 243 but not deer?

I have to agree with Stimpy, give us some reasonable options with rifles, even a divided situation like Michigan with populated counties slugs only would be ok with me. It seems like despite the number of deer harvested each year we still have too many killed on the roadways, and too many around our homes in the neighborhoods.

Joe
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 02:21:50 PM »
It is more challenging to take a deer with a bow, muzzle loader, shotgun or handgun.  This is good from a conservation standpoint since fewer will be killed.

If you want more than one shot, you can use a shotgun, pistol or revolver but it's really not much of a handicap to take deer and other big game with a single shot firearm.  I see no need for rifles.  As flat as Ohio is, at least around where I live, I wouldn't want the unwashed hordes slinging rifle bullets over my place come deer season.

Offline BIG Dog454

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 03:25:21 PM »
DNR reports that their are 650,000 deer in ohio and they want to trim the herd to 250,000. 

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 03:28:04 PM »
It is more challenging to take a deer with a bow, muzzle loader, shotgun or handgun.  This is good from a conservation standpoint since fewer will be killed.

If you want more than one shot, you can use a shotgun, pistol or revolver but it's really not much of a handicap to take deer and other big game with a single shot firearm.  I see no need for rifles.  As flat as Ohio is, at least around where I live, I wouldn't want the unwashed hordes slinging rifle bullets over my place come deer season.
I can see your point  in Western, Northern, and Southwestern Parts of Ohio The flat lands.The Southeast parts of Ohio Like Belmont, Monroe, Noble, Washington, Morgan, and others. Are almost Like hunting West Virgina.   Hills and More Hills. 
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER

Offline Castaway

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 07:45:07 AM »
Talk about flat, I live in Florida and our highest hill in the state is 345 feet above sea level.  We can use center fire rifles.  As far as Ohio goes, and as I'm one that is a dedicated 45 Colt Trapper, it's a pip squeak compared to a 12 gauge slug. 

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 01:32:45 PM »
I think it's not a hunting thing ,but a gun control thing by the boys in C-town!
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 01:42:17 PM »
Maybe ok for the rest of the state but in my area almost ALL of the deer are driven while hunted= shots at running deer.
I will be perfectly happy with shotgun only and would almost like to see no 454, 460, 480 or 500 handguns.
Oh crap... I would use a 454 IF I HUNTED this area

Offline valian

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2008, 05:30:30 AM »
The trajectory of the pistol cartridge bullets are not that different from shotgun slugs. Magazine capacity means nothing because dnr would just require plugging to 3 shots l...same as rules for shotguns.

I have been trying to get this done for more than 10 years. If you want to help go to the ODNR wildlife open meetings the first week of march and fill out a form with this suggestion. When I first started petitioning for this there were only about 4 or 5 others in the state with the same suggestion. Last year there were a couple of hundred so it seems to be picking up momentum. Maybe having Indiana doing it now will help persuade OHIO when they see that no problems develop because of it in Indiana.

The feedback i always get from the 'officials' at the meetings is that it is an enforcement issue, saying that it will be difficult for a game warden to know from a distance if someone is hunting with a .30-30 or a pistol caliber carbine. I say that is a non-issue because we don't need to assume distrust of hunters who are paying for the ODNR wildlife to begn with. Besides there are now .410 lever action carbines availabl,e with which someone could be hunting deer.

I am a hunter education instructor and i see a lot more interest in this issue among my students so I hope it can become a reality soon!

valian

Offline mas19

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 02:55:52 PM »
The reason we cant use rifles is because every single deer that is seen would be shot. Even though the potential of the new 50cal inlines and slug guns with the right optics is so great, It is still limited to basically 200yds. Any rifle is capable of a 200yd shot with iron sights.

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 04:36:20 PM »
The reason we cant use rifles is because every single deer that is seen would be shot. Even though the potential of the new 50cal inlines and slug guns with the right optics is so great, It is still limited to basically 200yds. Any rifle is capable of a 200yd shot with iron sights.

OK.?      I would say that this is a statement that could be argued.  But I'm not going to.  We are talking pistol cartridge rifles and I'm not a great shot with open sight.
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER

Offline damascusblade5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2008, 09:31:35 PM »
 American Hunter recently published a study done in Pa., I don't have the exact figures here, but the difference in distance at which a slug or center fire rifle can carry is surprisingly small.
As my good friend William Lee Golden sings"Thank God For Kids"

Offline minker

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2008, 07:44:04 AM »
glad to here others raising cain about this.

i went to the first wildlife hearing after they legalized handguns . asked if there was any problems , they said no .

i said thats great , i'd like to know when you are going to legalize those same 5 calibers ( at that time you could only use 5 calibers in handguns )  in rifles .

you'd have thought that i had asked to use a 50 bmg to hunt deer with .  they tried to tell me that those same 5 calibers used in a rifle would be way more powerful and totally to dangerous . i had published balistics with me of those calibers , showing the difference in being shot from a 7 1/2" handgun and a 20" rifle , 10% difference on average and that was with reloads .

they didn't want to here it .

there is no legitimate reason we can't use the same cartridges as used in handguns ( even now with a wider selection ) in a rifle .

theres no legitimate reason we can't use  black powder cartridge rifles either , .38 cal. and up just like muzzleloaders .

these modern inline muzzleloaders with scopes aren't primitive weapons but there legal and you can drop a deer at 200yds. with one.

the only way we'll ever get things changed is for hunters to start showing up in numbers at everyone of the states wildlife hearings and make there thoughts clear in writing and in person.  then they have no choice but to take notice.

someone also needs to get with the ohio farm bureau and make them aware that the state isn't employing all the ways they could to help lower the deer herd numbers . adding 2 more types of firearms would help do that .
Mark D. Stackhouse

Offline striker525

• Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2008, 08:02:17 AM »
I found it somewhat interesting, there was a study just done for all these states that have slug guns only laws, and here is their findings.
Test was done by Mountaintop Technologies of Johnstown PA assisted by Ballistics experts from the U.S. Army. They compared a 30-06, 12ga shotgun, and a 50cal muzzle loader.
In a long range test the 30-06 bullet traveled more than 2.5 miles the 12ga slug traveled 2 miles while the muzzle loader sent a bullet 1.75 miles. The study also showed that during a ricochet/disatnce test the shotgun slug could actually travel farther than a 30-06 bullet.

This part right here "The study also showed that during a ricochet/disatnce test the shotgun slug could actually travel farther than a 30-06 bullet." is what Ohio used but in the opposite for a base to set the law of slug guns only.