Author Topic: Nikko Sterling scopes... and problems with them..Update  (Read 618 times)

Offline Brithunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Nikko Sterling scopes... and problems with them..Update
« on: May 03, 2008, 12:09:39 AM »
Hi All,

Just thought I would give the heads up o these. Despite my reservations I brought and acquired two variable Nikko Sterling scopes. Not a new brand but it seems these Australian owned scopes (now owned by Highland Sporting of Australia) have been about as a brand for some 40+ years and I have some ( three actually) of their original 4x32 scopes mounted of rifles from that period and a later 4x40 of their Platinum line. The original scopes and a good reputation for a no frills scope.

I wanted a budget scope to use on the range with my 6mm Remington chambered P-H 1200V so acquired a 4.5-14x50 AO Gold Crown scope only to find on takign it out of the box and putting it on the rifle that is was faulty and that the fast Focus eye piece was so , poorly threaded that it wobbled about as did the reticle so it was useless. Tried dealing with the vendor with no luck so put it aside whilst trying to get something sorted and looked for a replacement.

I was told about a mail order company :-

J.S. Ramsbottom

Who had some scopes on close out and found they had a older model 3-9x40AO Platinum scope on offer so phoned them to check stock and they had two so I brought one after a discussion with the vendor and it arrived the following morning in the post. Excellent service. Fitted it to the rifle and bore sighted it and all looked well. Used it several times on the range ammunition testing then on one trip I altered the maginifaction whilst looking through the scope and noticed that the reticle moved!  :o so soem careful examination revealed that the entire eye bell could be wobbled on the main body tube. Darn it this s what happend to a 3-9x49 Silver Crown scope I had on my BSA CF" 270 win chambered rifle back in the early 1980's.

Lucky for me I had just read a review of the new Nikko Sterling Air King scope and it gave the contact number for Highland Sporting the importers so I rang them. Now I also rang Ramsbottom who said no problem send it back and we will ship it to the importers, we have the other still here so have put is aside for you and will ship it once the importer has inspected your scope and agreed it's faulty. As I had to send the Gold Crown direct to Highlands I told them i would ship both together and save the time so sent them insured next day delivery through the post office then checked to make sure they had arrived safely.

Waited several days then rang Highlands to see what was happening only to find nothing. They had not even looked at them  :-\ so waited until Tuesday the following week and rang again. Was told this time that they would be looking at them on Monday so waited until Friday and had heard nothing so phoned again this time I get told as the owner was out of the office ALL week and he would now check them over the weekend so basically I had been lied too.

It's a bank Holiday on Monday so I will now wait until Wednesday and phone again however I am not holding my breathe on this as it seems their customer service is as poor as their product is. Oh the Gold Crown was made in China I now discover and the Platinum made in Korea!

Will keep you informed on the progress of this and the eventual outcome but so far it seems avoid Nikko Sterling scopes.

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: Nikko Sterling scopes... and problems with them
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 05:23:48 AM »
Thanks for the info!! I have been wondering about these scopes as the features LOOK good, but looks & marketing can be deceiving.
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Brithunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Nikko Sterling scopes... and problems with them..Update
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 09:40:29 AM »
Hi All,

As it's Wednesday I rang Highland Outdoors to get an update and surprise, surprise nothing has happened. Despite the boss assuring me that he would look at them over the weekend. The boss was not there and no one looked at the scopes. I told the lady there that I was not impressed and that this was the third time I had been assured some one would look at them I then told her that I was relaying my experiences in dealing with their company on the Internet, the response was :-

we don't care

It seems that this company does not care about the quality of it's products nor about it's customers. I cannot recomend that folks steer clear of Nikko Sterling and Highland Outdoors strongly enough!