Author Topic: Magma (Star) lubricator/sizer  (Read 972 times)

Offline flutedchamber

• Trade Count: (0)
Magma (Star) lubricator/sizer
« on: April 14, 2008, 05:26:05 AM »
I am researching lubricator/sizers before I purchase my first one.  I like the idea of the Star (Magma) sizing nose first.  As I have read elsewhere on this site sizing this way gives a more concentric boolit, and to me just makes more sense, since this is how it goes down the barrel. 

For you Star (Magma) owners out there...do you think the unit is worth the money??  They are higher priced than others, and accessories (dies and punches) are higher priced, but it would be worth it if it turns out a superior product. 

I am using the Lee push thru die now.  It works, but it is slow.  If I'm going to buy a lubricator/sizer, I only want to buy one. 

Thanks for your input.

Offline D Crockett

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
Re: Magma (Star) lubricator/sizer
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 09:27:27 AM »

Flutedchamber I have had RCBS lam2 I spent allot of time cleaning my bullet basses with it I know it was a pressure problem then I got a Star I can lube 3 times more bullets in the same time with it than the RCBS now on the other hand the RCBS had a better warranty plan than the star But I still get good service out of Magma if given the choice between the star and the RCBS it would be the star D Crockett

Offline flutedchamber

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 01:33:55 PM »
Thank you for the reply.  You seem to echo what others who own the Star unit feel. 

One last question.  Who writes the instructions for the Star, the Chinese??  Whoever does write it is new to the English Language.  Come to think of it, is the Star made in the USA??

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 12:41:53 AM »
ive used rcbs and lymans an stars. Ill take a star hands down. There 3 times faster then anything. I dont really believe youll see a differnce in accuracy of your bullets between a rcbs and a star though
blue lives matter

Offline EdK

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 03:36:19 AM »
I, like you, researched sizer/lubers recently and came to the conclusion the Star was the Cadillac and began my typical "justification/rationalization" thinking while scratching together the dough. Within a week or two of reaching the decision but before buying, I came across a RCBS on my dealers' used table that looked brand spanking new for $50 - guess what I now have?

Offline calvon

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 12:03:35 PM »
When I first began casting I used a borrowed Lyman lubesizer. Slow, leaky, need a special punch for every nose configuration, etc. I was underwhelmed.

Some years later got seriously interested in casting, bought some LBT molds and on Veral Smith's recommendation bought a Star. It's price was less than 50% more than the Lyman. I wouldn't give up my Star to anybody for anything lesser.

The Star was first manufactured by Star Machine of San Diego. I bought mine direct from them. Later they sold the Star to Magma Engineering of Queen Creek, Arizona. So far as I know it has always been made in the USA. I've bought dies and molds from the latter and have always had excellent service.

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 10:36:48 AM »
How is gas check seating on the Star if you size nose first.  On the Lyman and RCBS you seat the gas check as the bullet starts to go down.  The sizing die has a slight bevel to accept it.  How does the star do this?

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline rbwillnj

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 03:39:51 PM »
You can seat gas checks either way with a Star, but I prefer nose first with a flat punch pushing on the gas check.  The punch holds the gas check firmly against the base of the bullet as its being pushed through the die.   The top of the Star die is also beveled.