Author Topic: .40 S/W versus 9 X 19 in shock and wear on a handgun?  (Read 863 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
.40 S/W versus 9 X 19 in shock and wear on a handgun?
« on: May 13, 2008, 08:32:04 AM »
I know that the .40 Smith and Wesson pistol cartridge has a higher pressure peak than the 9 mm but does it cause a significant wear aspect to the handgun in terms of how long it will last?

Would the same gun frame go longer in 9 mm than the harsher .40 S/W, in regards to cracking of the frame and slide, etc., and if so, what is the difference?

Thanks.

Offline Ak.Hiker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: .40 S/W versus 9 X 19 in shock and wear on a handgun?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 07:53:49 PM »
In a Glock the 9mm will out last the 40 S&W hands down.

Offline blackhawk45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 11:12:17 PM »
Most shooters will never fire enough rounds too damage a gun ! If you want a 40 S&W ,get one. tho 9MMs are a little cheaper.
Hunter, Shooter,Second Amendment Supporter,Handloader.

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 10:09:11 AM »

Would the same gun frame go longer in 9 mm than the harsher .40 S/W, in regards to cracking of the frame and slide, etc., and if so, what is the difference?

you've answered your own question when you described the .40 caliber as ''harsher''.

BUT, why worry about it?   buy a ruger or a smith, or a springfield (a ''good'' pistol) and think about what you want to do with it.   you won't just practice with it if you ever live long enough to have to ''pull it'' in self defense!    the .40 caliber is much better in a defensive situation than is the 9mm.

i recently did a 'search' for ''wound ballistics'' and read the FBI report at  FirearmsTactical.com/tactical.htm   go to ''wound ballistics'' and drop down to the related articles.   the first one by Urey W. Patrick is the one to read.    forget the 9mm!   if you read the whole thing carefully you'll see why the 9mm is a ''weak sister''.    no, i don't want to stand in front of one.   but i don't want to be shot with a .22RF either.   

especially note that the FBI says don't buy a bullet that requires expansion to achieve your desired results (document page 11, pdf page 14).

stay safe,

ss'   
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 10:36:17 AM »
A lot, maybe most of the .40 pistols on the market today were made using the same 9mm frame/slide/barrel. The slightly more intense .40 is  obviously harder on these components than the 9mm. Glock is a good example, I own them in 9mm/.40/.45. The .40 is the only one with slide peening after only a couple thousand rounds. Draw your own conclusions from this. As BH45 said, most shooters will never wear one out anyway. Buy what you want.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 10:40:59 AM »
If the bbl and slide are timed correctly would the pressure peak be past when the bbl. and slide unlock in a gun with a browning lock up ( which many use in modified form ) ? If so then what you ask would be if slide speed as it travels back would damage the gun , and spring selection and replacement on a preventive maintenance sch would cure that , That leaves forward travel , which would be slowed as the bullet is picked up from the mag. and not as violent maybe as rearward travel .
Glock was mentioned , It has a mod. Browning lock up , which in part allows the use of the frame they use . IE. there is little pressure on the frame . The spring used controls the movement of the slide in both directions retards it one way powers it the other if all is well how is one more harmful than the other ?
as a side note i witnessed a !0mm Glock experience what is believed to be a double load . The slide came off the frame hitting the shooter in the head . The next round in the mag went off most likely the reason the slide blew off also blowing the mag out of the gun .
The gun was put back together , a different mag was used and different ammo and it worked perfect . I don't believe normal shooting with good ammo will hurt either a 9mm or 40 S&W that much more than the other in a Glock gun or most others if they are working proper . Use hot ammo or neglect the springs you could have a problem !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Savage

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 01:29:26 AM »
That's another thing, Glock uses the same recoil spring in the 9mm & .40. I buy calibration spring kits from "Wolf Gun Springs" and choose the one that works best with my load. Glock says the peening of the slide on the .40 is "Nothing to Worry About" that it will stop eventually, and will not damage the gun or interfere with function. If you look at a pressure graph of the 9mm and .40, you will indeed note a significant difference in the pressure curve. As the locking geometry is identical on both caliber Glock barrels, both unlock at the same point. Due to the longer pressure curve of the .40 (Especially with the 165-180 bullets) slide velocity is a factor in the .40, at least in the Glock platform. The selection of the recoil spring can only do so much to remedy this situation without causing timing problems in the cycle. Again, draw your own conclusions!
Savage

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 02:17:08 AM »
savage , do you know at what point in the curve the bbl unlocks from the slide ? I don't . I would think that would have a bearing on slide speed as much as anything . I haven't looked at my Glock bbls to see if the lug on the bottom have different angles 40 vs. 9 to compensate slide speed and retard the unlocking on the 40 after a safe pressure is reached .
I don't claim to be an expert but i would assume ( i know the old saying ) that a gun manf. would have this worked out , maybe .

Offline Savage

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 02:04:34 PM »
Shootall,
I'm no expert, by any stretch of the imagination. I am told that the longer pressure peak of the .40 S&W pressure curve contributes to the increased slide velocity of the cartridge over the 9mm. That is: Pressure remains at a relatively high level for a longer period after the barrel unlocks from the slide, driving the slide at a higher velocity in recoil. It would appear to me, that in the Glock, (Mdls 17/22) the unlocking occurs at the same point in rearward travel. The only thing I can say with absolute certainty, is in my guns, the .40 is showing the wear well before reaching the round count of the 9s.
Savage

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 05:27:16 AM »
I don't disagree just asking ?????????

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 08:21:51 AM »
Savage, have you tried heavier recoil springs to slow the slide?
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson