Author Topic: turkey down  (Read 395 times)

Offline b44mag

• Trade Count: (17)
  • A Real Regular
turkey down
« on: May 20, 2008, 03:02:42 PM »
hey guys just got back from camp in WV. my first real turkey hunt. got the 26 in. 20 ga. loaded with 3 in. # 6s. went in at 5:15 sat for about 30 mins. boy they were every where gobbling the hair was standing up all over my body. got the slate call out gave 3 soft yelps one turkey gobbled just across the power line. i put the call away and sat real still about 10 mins. passed no turkey. just then out of the Conner of my right eye i saw a black flash about 50 yds away .then i saw him he was trying to flank me . i turned a little bit every time his head got behind a tree .soon as i passed him i got ready for him to get in the clear of the next tree. i  pulled the trigger he dropped in his tracks. boy im hooked the only thing that disappointed me was i didn't get to see him in full strut. i hear guys say that you need a 12 ga. 3 1/2 i disagree . 50 yds is pusshing it  i know but i took my time and squeezed the trigger. great shot he had a 9 1/2 in.  beard 3/4 in. spurs . my buddy skinned the back from the neck to the tail and is tanning it for me should be a nice mount .so i went to gander mnt. and ordered a 20 ga. compact with  modified choke tube .going to switch the stock off mine and give him the 26 in. 20 ga. with the youth stocks on it . the compact will be my turkey gun. i think this was one of the best hunts i have had in the 20 some years of hunting . i cant wait for next spring. oh my Buddy's making me a spur call lanyard also for the crow call . when i get it all done ill post pics. hope the 22 in. compact will shoot as good im sure it will. maybe ill get a ported turkey choke for it who knows.
                                                                         b44mag

Offline d_hiker

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (69)
  • A Real Regular
Re: turkey down
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 09:04:50 AM »
Good Job, I know what you mean about your hair standing on end.  I went on my first turkey hunt two years ago and got a nice gobbler.  Last year I didn't see any, only heard one but couldn't convince him to come see me.  This year I just had too much going on and I didn't go.  But I will be back out there next year if the farmer doesn't sell the farm.
"IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM !!!"