Author Topic: Which Harris Bi-Pod?  (Read 487 times)

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Which Harris Bi-Pod?
« on: May 12, 2008, 05:35:53 AM »
Which Harris Bi-Pod is most appropriate for use from the Bench the 9" to 13" or 6" to 9"? Who has used them to know for sure?

The 6" to 9" strikes me as having enough range for most shots so long as the terrain is reasonably flat. I guess I should go out and use my shooting bench and measure what distance up seems most appropriate before ordering but thought some of you might have used them enough to be sure.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: Which Harris Bi-Pod?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 08:58:43 AM »
I have used both and the 6" to 9" is definitly the way to go. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline dw06

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 11:03:12 AM »
I agree with Dale, I use the 9 to 13 in the field and on the bench, but like the 6 to 9 better on the bench,and over fairly flat terrain it works well in field use.
If you find yourself in a hole,the first thing to do is stop digging-Will Rogers

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 11:08:10 AM »
 I had one of those gadgets many years ago, don't recall the size but do recall that they threw the zero off anytime you went from a firm  surface to something other. Mind you that was all with cartridges that generated fair recoil.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Tencubed

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 01:14:18 PM »
Have used both sizes and prefer the 6-9 for nearly all uses.  Major exception would be when I'm hunting coyotes in tall grass or snow.

Some rifles, as mentioned, don't do well off a bipod.  Never found a fix for this either.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Why do I carry a gun?  Because a Cop's too heavy.
Oldest rifle I shoot - 1854 Sharps 50-70

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 01:24:02 PM »
I believe the key to that is to sight your rifle in using the bipod. If you sight it in on sand bags your field hits may be different using a bipod. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 06:13:58 PM »
I kinda answered my own question before anyone posted. I set my portable bench up and sat down and got comfortable with my normal rests and measured and realized that 9" was really pushing it for too much so clearly the shorter one would be best. But I also decided against buying either. They run $90 each and probably weight as much as the set up I use even tho my set up is a bit more bulky.

I have some blocks of hard foam I've covered with duct tape to protect them and a set of bags filled with some light foam like material. They can give me most any height set up I need and all combined likely weight no more than the bipod does even tho they do take up a bit more room when packing. I decided to just go with what I have now.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Tencubed

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 09:36:34 AM »
If you wear that wide brim all the time they make a darn good rest lots of times.  Mine gets that treatment quite often when out shooting groundhogs.

Mike
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Why do I carry a gun?  Because a Cop's too heavy.
Oldest rifle I shoot - 1854 Sharps 50-70