Author Topic: Best Ammo for Ruger Mark II  (Read 3412 times)

Offline ShootnStr8

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Best Ammo for Ruger Mark II
« on: May 12, 2008, 02:38:17 AM »
Some pretty impressive groups were mentioned in Camba's thread regarding .22 autoloading pistols.  I've not been nearly as successful.  Where is a good starting point in the quest for accurate ammo for a Mark II?

Blessings!

Shootnstr8
There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus.
--Blaise Pascal

Offline huntswithdogs

• A Real Regular
Re: Best Ammo for Ruger Mark II
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 03:10:24 AM »
Mine shoot just about any of them well. Winchester HPs, in the 100 box, shoot the best of all.

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 03:53:57 AM »
For target work I'd start with target ammo, try the inexpensive stuff first and then work your way up.  I had an Anschutz target rifle that shot inexpensive PMC target ammo about as well as CCI Green Label, and a brick cost a little more that a 100 rd. box of the CCI!  For general shooting, start with cheap first!

Offline Jim n Iowa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 02:23:06 PM »
winchester T-22 and wolf match do great in all my 22 Ruger autos', and my 617.
Jim

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 01:18:41 AM »
Hey Jim - my 22 pistol is a Ruger MkII 6&7/8" bull barrel Government Model.  I get the best accuracy from Remington Sub-Sonics, CCI Standard Velocity (don't see enough difference twixt that and the green tag) and T-22s. 

Some of the T-22s shot a bit dirty and were a tad snappier than the sub-sonics or standard velocity ammo. 

Lots of folk forget that the old standard velocity ammo was the target ammo of the day and it will still shoot very well in target guns.

As for high speed ammo - man, I have a ball with Rem Thunderbolts, or the old High Speed solids.  Most everything shoots very well from my pistol, but I would start with either sub-sonic or std velocity ammo.  HTH.  Mikey. 

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 03:07:38 AM »
My MkII bull barrel shoots about anything well. This last weekend it put 7 out of 10 in 2" or less @ 25 yds. with a two hand non-rested hold with Remington bulk hollow points. Rimfires can be very selective about ammo, but my MkII does not seem to much care so buy different stuff and try it. My Marlin 39A rifle shoots most well but really tightens up with Ely target and of all things CCI Stingers. The Marlin off a bench rest with stingers will group five at around 1/2 inch @ 50 yds., about the same with Ely as compared to an inch+ with other ammo.
GuzziJohn

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 03:27:04 AM »
Each one shoots what it shoots. Buy 100 rounds of each type you can lay your hands on. Shoot the first 50 of each just plinking and then shoot the last 50 on paper from a bench doing your very best on each shot. At the end you'll know precisely what yours prefers. Don't clean the barrel during this testing but do fire a full 50 rounds of each type down the barrel BEFORE you put it on paper to see how it does.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline flintlock

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 05:08:51 AM »
Mine likes CCI-High Velocity Hollow Points, didn't care for the low velocity stuff, which is fine as I hunt more than target shoot...

Offline Old Griz

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 06:25:16 AM »
Each gun is different, and shoots different ammo differently. My Mk. II wouldn't shoot anything except CCI Blazers without jamming. All my other .22s seem to like the standard velocity stuff and Winchester. You're just gonna have to try a box of everything and see what does and does not work well in your gun.
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 02:49:21 PM »
I do not have great results with REM ammo in my Ruger MK2 and MK2. No 22 ammo has jammed that I have tried. I shoot a 617 6" that is more forgiving and shoots most anything feed to HER very well.
Jim

Offline OLDHandgunner

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 02:34:11 AM »
I've had very good luck with Federal Auto Match in my Ruger Mark II's.

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 06:23:01 AM »
few shooters will ever be good enough to notice, but, those who can use Eley match ammunition. it is outrageously expensive. almost all olympic shooters use eley.
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Paladin

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 05:59:34 PM »
I have settled on eley sport, shoots as good as I do. I have high end ammo that shoots better, but I like to shoot a lot so I compromise.  good luck