Author Topic: Handloads for ccw  (Read 791 times)

Offline Jim n Iowa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Handloads for ccw
« on: August 24, 2003, 02:20:52 PM »
I have seen this tossed around alot as to not use handloads as the liability or intent to defend is subject to litigation. Does any one have a clear understanding of this as far as the laws are? Or is this a state to state issue?
Jim

Offline CJ

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Handloads for ccw
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2003, 06:30:39 AM »
Laws are not really the question, more perception. As long as the ammo is legal in your state and it is a clear self defense shooting the civil side would be my concern. Look for Massod Ayoobs books, he details cases where he has testified as an expert witness. Some interesting reading.
   P.S. this is a subject that 50 people will have a CLEAR understanding of and there will be 51 different understandings.
NRA Lifer

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
ccw
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2003, 12:24:56 PM »
cj
I guess I was looking for a test case that had suceeded, as you mentioned every one has an opinion. I guess I will just keep buying factory as I could always use the brass.
Jim

Offline Savage

Handloads for ccw
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2003, 02:28:36 PM »
Jim,
I carry factory ammo. Why? Because I can't reload anything better! Twenty five years ago a handloader could sometimes improve on the factory ballistics. Not true anymore with the common defensive calibers. Factory premium defensive ammo is loaded with premimum compotents that are not usually available to handloaders. They are as close to 100% reliiable as it gets, and pretty well perform as advertised. Even if the use of handloaded ammo is an issue, there is no reason to carry it. The only reason I handload for my handguns is for the economy. I can load and shoot several hundred cast rounds for about the same money as one box of premium factory! I like that!!!!
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
ccw
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2003, 02:21:24 PM »
Savage
Thanks fotr the reply, I will just buy the factory ammo in smaller lots. Try to use it up in 1yr max. And have gotten into cast bullets latley. Still it is a question as to the liability of ones self in using handloads to defend ones self, as a oppossed to factory. Or just wipe them out with dynomite.
Jim

Offline Savage

Handloads for ccw
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2003, 02:07:47 AM »
Jim,
The use of handloaded ammo for self defence should not be an issue, but in today's ligitious society why take the chance. I shoot up my duty ammo in qualifications every year and it's not cheap!  I carry either a Glock 21 with an ammo load of 40rds or a Kimber with an ammo load of 25rds as my primary. That's about $80 worth of ammo!! I can load a lot of cast bullets for that!!!! About 1428 to be more percise! I like the dynamite idea too!!
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,