Author Topic: Scope rings on a Ultra Slug Hunter  (Read 1520 times)

Offline 55esox

• Trade Count: (0)
Scope rings on a Ultra Slug Hunter
« on: May 14, 2008, 10:39:26 AM »
I have recently purchased an 12 gauge Ultra Slug Hunter and am going to put a Nikon ProStaff 2-7 x 32 on it. The question I have is in regards to what rings I need. I am looking at the Weaver grand Slam series and don't know which height to get. From what I have gathered, the mediums would work, however I think there might be an issue with the hammer interfering with the back of the scope.

Does anyone have any input on this? I am completely new to all this (first slug gun) and am trying to figure this all out. Also, would the Weaver Grand Slam rings be ok, or should I look at different options?

Thanks for your time.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Scope rings on a Ultra Slug Hunter
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 10:57:31 AM »
I have a set of the Weaver Grand Slams, if you like Chinese cast iron tools, you'll love them, personally I'm not impressred with them, they're made in China and look like it, they took a lot of lapping to get them true enough to mount the scope in them, mounting a scope in them unlapped would be scopeicide!!  :o

A much better choice would be Leupold PRWs, I have the same scope on my 500S&W Ultra mounted in them, they're rock solid and have stood up to some heavy recoil, 700gr @ 1430fps and 440gr @ 1900fps. See the scope mounting and low profile hammer mod links in the FAQs.

And Welcome to GBO! ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline 55esox

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 11:13:50 AM »
Thanks much. Like I said i am completely new to this and appreciate all the help to keep me from tripping all over myself.

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 11:41:55 AM »
My assessment of the Weaver Grand Slams is much like Quick's.  I thought them clunky, rough and poorly manufactured.  I returned the set I purchased.

I use Leupold Rifleman's on my Ultra 12 ga. as well as all my centerfire Handi's.  I've not tried the PRW's. However, I like what I've seen of them so far and intend to try a set shortly.

:)

Offline st8tman

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 04:43:26 PM »
I have Leupold PRW's on my Ultra Slug Hunter 12 as well as several other weapons. They are rock solid and well made in my opinion. My USH setup includes Medium PRW's, supplied base, and 2x7 leupold shotgun scope with heavy duplex. So far I have fired appoximately 150 3" magnum slugs and all is well. The medium PRW's allow ample clearance of the hammer; however this clearance is only practical with the use of the included hammer spur.

Offline 55esox

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 05:08:43 PM »
Looks like the PRW's are the way to go.

Lows or mediums? I assume i want to keep it as low as posssible, how much clearance do you have on that scope?

Thanks

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 05:15:24 PM »
You'll likely have to use the high PRWs for the Nikon scope if you don't modifiy the hammer as I've done on mine, see RINGS in the FAQs and Help sticky, lots of pics. Leupold scopes have a much smaller power ring and ocular bell that makes mounting them more H&R friendly. ;)

Tim

Offline 55esox

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 05:33:41 PM »
Ahhhh... a picture is worth a 1000 words. Thanks for your help, you saved me alot of headaches.

Offline 55esox

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 11:10:05 AM »
Heres a little update on my project. I decided to go with Warne Maxima LOW rings. It appears as if I have approximately 1/16" clearance on the hammer. Is that sufficient or should I grind the hammer down a bit? I don't want to cut it too tight.

I will say when I had the HIGH Loopies on I thought the gun fit pretty good, however when the LOW rings went on it was night and day.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 12:06:50 PM »
1/16" is plenty if it clears the swing of the hammer, I have less than that on several.  ;)

Tim