Author Topic: Busta: You out there?  (Read 752 times)

Offline Simpleman96

• Trade Count: (0)
Busta: You out there?
« on: May 24, 2008, 04:28:08 AM »
Busta: Question for ya.

When using the blackhorn 209 in the disc extreme did you use the red plastic jackets or do you have the new non jacketed 209 plug? Just wondering because the pamphlet shows what type of breech plugs you
 should have, and I want to know if you used the plastic jackets did you have any issues. 

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Busta: You out there?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 04:01:13 PM »
Simpleman96,

All I have used is the Non-FPJ plug, and as well as it is doing I may never shoot the standard FPJ plug. I just love dropping in the bare primer, close the bolt, shoot, open the bolt, turn rifle to the right, primer drops out. It don't get much easier than that. The adapter that holds the primer is inserted in the bolt before inserting into the rifle, it then is held in place and is just an extension of the bolt. You just drop a primer in and close the bolt...the primer pocket is just the right size to allow the front of the 209 to enter freely...then the wider back half is compressed a bit to lock it in...after firing the adapter extracts the primer.

This is the one!

The FPJ plug has a concave that is .300" deep, and the Non-FPJ plug has a .075" high dome. That puts the powder .375" closer to the primer, 1.12" in the standard plug vs 1.495" in the Non-FPJ plug. The standard plug also has a larger .035" flash hole, the Non-FPJ plug has a .027" flash hole. Both plugs have a .125" (1/8") flame channel.

Here they are side by side.

U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Simpleman96

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 02:30:24 AM »
Thanks busta!

I am going to get the Non jacketed plug then.

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 04:23:57 AM »
From most reports, the standard plug gives the best ignition. It has a larger flash hole and puts the powder .375" closer to the primer. I just can't imagine it getting better than what I was getting with the Non-FPJ. You will want a 1/8" drill bit to remove carbon from the .125" flame channel, there was quite a bit after 2 primers + 32 shots without cleaning it. Just turn it in by hand and you will be amazed how much carbon will come out of there.

Just want you to know that it is not necessary to buy the Non-FPJ, the standard plug works best by most reports. I just don't like the FPJ's, so this is a great option.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Simpleman96

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 12:46:33 PM »
Thanks again !

I will then consider keeping the standard plug. I just did not know if the jacketed plug would give excessive blow back due to the slight increase in pressure from the Blackhorn 209.