Author Topic: Best factory Ammo for a .270 Winchester  (Read 1665 times)

Offline THE#1hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Best factory Ammo for a .270 Winchester
« on: July 29, 2003, 10:05:37 AM »
Hi I picked up a .270 Win recently and I was wondering what factory ammunition to use for it...I am currently using Remington Express Core-lokt psp's....any other suggestions?
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline 01magnatec

• Avid Poster
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2003, 12:44:27 PM »
Winchester Partition Balisitc tips.  A little more expensive but wait till you see the damage they do !!!!  Dropped every deer i shot right in their tracks :eek:

Offline AAAJohn

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2003, 12:47:06 PM »
1st. choice Federal premium probably 130 gr. speer point

Offline Greybeard

• Administrator
  • A Real Regular
    • Graybeard Outdoors
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2003, 01:23:37 PM »
I've used only two factory loads for the .270 Win. and loved both. One is the Hornady Custom 140 grain and the other is the Federal Premium with 150 Nosler PT. If you want the premium bullet for larger game go with the Federal. For deer hunting the Hornady load is hard to beat. It has put down a bunch of deer for both me and my oldest son with no bad results to date and it is as cheap as any out there.

I've not tried the RP load but generally speaking it is excellent ammo also.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises

Offline Zachary

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2003, 04:49:56 PM »
I use the Hornady 140 BTSP myself and love them.  This load is both very accurate (at least in my rifle) and seems to work very well on whitetails.  Hornady has their new Interbond bullet out.  I just ordered 3 boxes of .308 Winchester 150 grain Interbonds.  The interbonds are like the SST but bonded.  Yea, it's a premium bullet, but it is supposed to expand very well yet retain a very high percentage of its weight.  I think that they make it for the .270 - you might want to take a look at it.

Zachary

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2003, 06:22:52 AM »
it doesnt matter.   every brand i have tried works very well.   winchester and remington's cheapest offerings will kill any deer dear in it's tracks.   i used winchester 150 grain round nose to shoot a deer across a lake here, and even at that distance it dropped the deer where it stood.

Offline Power

• Avid Poster
    • http://www.powerandfury.com/hunt.html
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2003, 12:37:00 PM »
Depends on what you intend to hunt for but I would shop by bullet first. Find a couple you like and then buy a box of each type you think would work for the game you plan to hunt. Then shoot both for accuracy and see which shoots better.

I've always had good luck with the Federal Premium 130g. in the wife's .270. If it shoots the Rem. Cor-Loks they are a good bullet for deer and cheap too.
-Power

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2003, 05:19:53 AM »
Thanks a ton for all of the help....with everything, I really appreciate it. :D This site is the best, i only wish I found it sooner :D

--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline Brushhunter

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2003, 01:48:54 PM »
Most rifles (and shotguns too for that matter) will have a preference for a given bullet, load, etc.  Fool around and shoot with as many different loads and brands as you can till you find out what kinda fodder your new .270 likes to chew best.  This has lots of advantages--improves your shooting, lets you tinker with the scope, and above all gives you a reason to be out hanging around the range:)  Enjoy!

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2003, 09:19:59 AM »
Thanks for all the help :D

Offline TScottO

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2003, 05:05:30 PM »
If you are going to be hunting short to medium distances and thick or wooded areas I would suggest a bullet such as the Remington Express Core-Lokt Soft Points.

http://www.remington.com/ammo/centerfire/remcfammo.htm

This bullet has a rounded soft point design. I personally do not like sharp speer pointed bullets when hunting wooded areas.

Shooting at relatively short distances doesn't require clover leaf accuracy though this bullet shoots quite well. These bullets shoot well in my 270-700BDL up to 200 yards. 200yards is a far as I’ve shot them. They also whistle right through a deer at 150 yards and leave a nice big wound channel and exit hole.

Just because you find a bullet/ammo combination that makes nice small groups doesn’t mean it’s the best load/design for your hunting conditions. Take the nice small group loads to the range for fun shooting but match your bullet design for its intended purpose. I’ve had great results from the rounded nose bullets.

Give 'em a shot.

Good luck and be safe,
Scott