Author Topic: SPRINGS AND RECOIL BUFFERS  (Read 476 times)

Offline mattmillerrx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
SPRINGS AND RECOIL BUFFERS
« on: May 20, 2008, 08:17:18 PM »
What are your opinions on changing out recoil springs? Advantages to heavier or lighter?  What are your opinions on using recoil buffers and do they truly help reduce wear and reduce felt recoil?  I have read a lot on this lately and was considering changing out to a 16 lb recoil spring, a 17 lb hammer spring (this is reduced) and changing the ejector spring on my CZ 75.  A change in my shooting form seems to have fixed my problems for now but have seen opinions on both sides of this and wanted to know your opinions and experiences.
Thanks
MGM

Offline williamlayton

Re: SPRINGS AND RECOIL BUFFERS
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 11:26:22 PM »
Springs need too be sized in order for the weapon to function--too light/heavy and the weapon may not function.
I have never found recoil buffers necessary.
I don't shoot hot or soft loads--and I reload.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 12:49:06 AM »
MGM:  I have routinely changed springs in my 1911s but have avoided the use of recoil buffers for a while.  I have seen a number of problems resulting from the use of recoil buffers and no longer think they are worth it.  I have gone from factory 16 lb weight springs all the way to 22 lb springs - slows down the slide a bit and helps tame rapid fire recoil but I'm even thinking of going back to a lighter spring - say 20lb weight to see how that functions the gun. 

I also avoid shock buffs - those little plastic buffers - as they do not always allow the slide to go all the way to the rear and properly eject/chamber shells. 

Unless you intend to shoot heavy loads on a regular basis I think you may wish to avoid the recoil buffers and if necessary, just go with a slightly heavier spring.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 01:29:55 AM »
Based on my limited knowledge of this stuff, I agree with what you have said.  I guess when I reworded my original question I lost some info.  Although, I do want your general opinions, the part that got lost was something along the line of: the guys that are pro changing springs say it improves reliability and that the factory springs wear out or are junk/weak ect. and the guys that are con say it is the spring makers making these claims. 

Now, I have read the ejector spring on the early CZ 75's is weak and am starting to some trouble with mine and think this may be the cause.  The lighter hammer spring on this gun is to lighten the trigger pull.  I think this will mostly be in double action mode but might see a slight lighting in SA mode.  The last claim I have seen is the 16lb spring ( 2lbs heavier than factor) claims the barrel rise is quite a bit less.

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 08:10:58 AM »
I have no experience with the CZ.

In the 1911s I have, I run the heaviest spring I can that retains full function. I do use shock buffs. When the slide STARTS to cut the shock buff I install a new recoil spring and buff.

Changing the hammer (main) spring WILL affect slide speed and recoil. Installing a lighter spring is like installing a lighter recoil spring. The slide cocks the hammer and lighter hammer resistance is just like a lighter recoil spring. With the lighter hammer spring you may need to increase the # of your recoil spring.
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 06:21:46 AM »
I use shock buffers when I can get them, you can see how much the buffer takes the hits when I field strip my guns, less pounding on the frame/slide of the gun.  Design variables also affect things, my Springfield XD-9 does not have a recoil buffer, it uses the double recoil spring and seems to be doing just fine in handling the recoil impacts.