Author Topic: Would like to buy a Hornady LNL - any user reviews?  (Read 406 times)

Offline FreeNHim

• Trade Count: (13)
Would like to buy a Hornady LNL - any user reviews?
« on: May 28, 2008, 03:56:22 PM »
Thinking about getting a Hornady LNL press, esp with the current 1000 bullet special offer,  for a 44 mag.   Anyone currently using one?  Please provide the pros and cons.   Thanks.

Offline gary0529

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Would like to buy a Hornady LNL - any user reviews?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 11:36:33 PM »
This subject has been beat to death and there are numerous posts both here and on other forums describing both the L n L and in comparison to the Dillon presses.
Now, having said that, I have had and continue to love my L n L.

I reload and shoot 11 different calibers but mainly use the L n L for high volume pistol i.e., 9mm,38/357,45 & 44Mag., as I prefer the Forster single stage for more deliberate loading of my bench rest rifle ammo.

The outstanding features of the Hornady in my opinion are the ease and simplicity of die changing and the powder measure arrangement, esp. with the powder through die expander which slightly flares the straight walled pistol cases in the same station/operation as dumping the powder.
I have found the powder measure very capable of holding consistent charge throws even down in the low ranges used with some of the faster pistol powders.

The one negative you may encounter is the crimping or 5 die and interference with the ejector wire.
There are numerous threads regarding a "fix" such as bending the wire, etc. but I have found the easiest method is to use a Hornady crimp die in the 9 mm  and that fixed everything ( and Hornady even sent it free after I bitched and moaned to Tech Support enough).

Re: support, they have been GREAT.
I tend to assemble first and read directions later and they were there every time to hold my hand and send out new retainer springs and ejector wires that I f----d up in my attempts to re-engineer the unit.

Again, I re-load a lot- upwards of 4 to 6 K pistol a year-at least I did before the price increases with bullets- and really like the unit.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 01:15:23 AM »
im a dillon man through and through but the couple lock and load progressives ive used have been dammed good presses. I would think about one myself but the ergonomics of running them is enough differnt from the dillons that i just do better on them. Im sure if i would have started with a hornday it would probably be the other way.
blue lives matter

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 08:29:47 AM »
I had a Hornady Pro-Jector. The predecessor to the Hornady LNL. I liked it very much. With the case feeder and LNL dies I am sure it is even better. The only reason I don't have it is a local shooter BEGGED me to sell it to him. I really don't know why I did it.

I have owned Dillons: 300/450/RL1050.  Lee turret/Pro 1000/LoadMaster. Hornady Pro-Jector.   I have used: Dillon Square Deal B/550/650. Star Universal

I recommend without reservation: Dillon RL1050/650/550. The Square Deal B is ok for someone loading less than 10k a year.  I really liked the Lee Pro 1000.  I had a really bad experience with the Lee LoadMaster but from video clips on line it looks like they have it worked out. I would buy another Hornady now in the LNL version.

That said, I still prefer my Dillon RL1050
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline BigJakeJ1s

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 04:04:24 PM »
A good comparison of Dillon, Hornady and Lee progressive presses is located at http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf

Andy

Offline FreeNHim

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 02:00:02 AM »
Thanks to all for your responses. The review provided in the link seemed pretty balanced and purposeful.  I still need to save some more $$ at this time,  so I will continue to read up as much as I can.  Have a great weekend!