Author Topic: Leaking Lyman  (Read 587 times)

Offline Doctor Sam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Leaking Lyman
« on: July 24, 2003, 07:34:12 PM »
:(  I have recently started casting bullets again and spent a bunch of time removing the oxidized alox/beeswax lube and spider webs that have been in place for a number of years in my Lyman sizer.  Refilled it with fresh alox/beeswax lube, stuck a new die into place with the proper nose punch and began to lube a long 6.5 GC bullet.  Everything works fine but after size/lube the bullet comes out on top of a column of lube that would be sufficient to lube two more bullets.  Has to be wiped off the base of the bullet and from the mouth of the die.  I remember this from my previous experience with this tool but didn't have an internet and your resources.
Is this inherent in this machine or can something be done about it?
Thanks.
Doctor Sam
Dr. Sam

Offline Leftoverdj

Leaking Lyman
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2003, 02:02:35 AM »
That's odd in a GC bullet.  I had the same problem years ago and traced it to sprues raising the base off the internal punch enough to make a gap lube could get into. I cured it by cupping the top of the punch.

My guess that you have something on the top of the punch that keeps the GC from resting flush on it. I'd heat the sizing die a little, slide the punch out, and clean both the die and the punch before reassembling. I'd clean both parts because it may well be bits of petrified lube from the lube ports getting on top of your punch.

Lemme know it that works, please.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Shootingamigo

Leaking Lyman
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2003, 03:20:08 AM »
From time to time this happens to me with Lyman. Good point about the sprue cutoff. I have experienced same thing but due to pressure. Crank it down to just a firm resistance. Use no more than a quarter turn. Using this method I lube about 4 .358 bullets per qtr turn. Of course less or more depending on diameter. If using a hard lube I heat for only 5 minutes just enough to get the lube to move but not freely. i also put a washer of approximately the same thickness as recess under machine which allows for use of a firmer lube without blowing out the notorious O-RING. Hope this helps.

Shootingamigo

Offline richp41

Leaking Lyman
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2003, 06:30:18 AM »
Sam, this occurs from cranking too much pressure on the lube. I've learned how to avoid it in the 35 years I've been using mine.  Just bump the handle every bullet stroke about 1/16 or more of a turn. Lube doesn't have to be pressure packed into the grooves just deposited. Once you get to the point where there are some voids in the grease grooves just increase the stroke slightly and you have it made. Bullets with bevel bases and GC bullets without the GC often are the most challenging but even thes can be succesfully lubed without a mess. Rich

Offline Shootingamigo

Leaking Lyman
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2003, 06:53:39 AM »
35 Yrs. You sure?? You aint a rookie or something are you?? Just kidding. I tried to explain the same to him. I agree. Actually Lyman says the same thing except run it thru the sizer the second time and it will be perfect. Just enough pressure to fill the groove. Again I was just kiding. Actually I am a 37 yr rookie.

Shootingamigo

Offline Doctor Sam

• Avid Poster
Leaking Lyman
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2003, 06:54:39 AM »
Thanks, Guys.  I will back off and see what works after cleaning.
Doctor Sam
Dr. Sam

Offline Doctor Sam

• Avid Poster
Leaky Lyman
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2003, 04:55:10 PM »
OK Gentlemen.  You solved my problem.  I cleaned the die and reduced the pressure on the lube and it worked great.
Many thanks.
Doctor Sam
Dr. Sam