Author Topic: full volume  (Read 744 times)

Offline jrnsuz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
full volume
« on: May 26, 2008, 08:49:50 AM »
Howdy, and thanks for a great resource. My beloved spouse recently bought herself a Ruger SP101 w 2 1/2 barrel in .357 mag for fun and defense. Considering she's burning about 200 rounds a week for target practice, I've decided I need to start reloading in wallet defense. I'm storing a buddy's reloading set-up (long story that ends badly) so all I really need to get started are dies and expendables. 

My beginning research seems to indicate that full case volume loads are preferred, so the question is, does anybody know of a moderate .38 special load that will give me full case volume with 125 grain jacketed hp bullets?

My only reloading experience at this point is using a the old Lee kit for a .30/40 carbine many years ago, so any thoughts or suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks J.R.

" It's not the dope on the rifle, it's the dope behind it! " GySgt Harrison

Offline SharonAnne

Re: full volume
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 08:55:18 AM »
the .38Spl and .357Rmag are grossly oversize relative to the amount of powder they CAN hold. I know of no powder that even comes close to filling the case AND is safe.
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lone Star

• Reformed Gunwriter
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 09:47:07 AM »
I am curious why the OP believes he needs to have a full case?  The most accurate target loads most often use small amounts of fast burning powder....

I know of no powder that even comes close to filling the case AND is safe.
There are several powders that can fill the .357 Magnum case in safe loads - but the load may not be optimum.  Maximum loads in the Lyman Manual with H110, N110 and IMR4227 are compressed loads with 125 grain bullets.  These will be rip-roaring loads in a 2.5" SP101! 

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 11:50:49 AM »
Just my .02 worth here , a few things need to be addressed ,

1) If she is going through 200 rounds a week , go with case bullets , about 1/4 the cost of JHPs

2) Lone Star is right , most of the best target loads use less than 1/2 case of powder and sometimes much less , why burn $$s when you don't need to .

3) With a snub nose like she has you will see little if any difference between POI between the 125 JHPs and say a 158 cast SWC .

4) Most importantly , the fact that some time has passed since last loaded you need to pick up a good manual and re-read the basics at least twice .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 03:26:44 PM »
It's been  a while since I loaded any 38 SPL but I know the amount of powder I used was less than half of the case volume.

Have you fired a round that had a full load of powder?  If you haven't, I don't think you should.  It will probably be unsafe to do so. You do want your wife to continue cooking and cleaning around the house with both hands.

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 09:56:19 PM »
I use unique and titegroup in 38 and 357, and neither come close to filling the case, and I get pretty good groups with both. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline PaulS

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 01:47:37 AM »
If you intend to keep the pressures at 38 spl levels there are no recommended powders that will come close to filling the case.
If you want to raise the pressure to 357 mag levels then there is a way to get the case full.
Just to let you know there is one load that fills the case once the bullet is seated in a 38 spl - at low pressures:
Use 2.9 to 3.2 grains of HP-38 in a 38 spl case primed with a small pistol primer.
Seat a 148 grain HBWC even with the case mouth and crimp in place.
There is very little, if any, space in the case. This load has been used in target shooting for as long as the powder and case have been used.
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline Savage

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 03:49:35 AM »
Like the others, I don't know where you're coming from on the full case charge thing. The best loads take up very little of the case capacity, especially in range loads. If you just "Must" have full case capacity, take a look at Trail Boss powder. I understand it loads in very high volumes for low pressure loadings. Cast bullets of course!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 05:46:33 AM »
I think whats happening here is a mix of info , with most bottle necked cases you look for a 80% to 95% case fill , while with strait walled pistol rounds like the 38spl & 357mag that rule does not very often apply .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline warrior1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 07:11:24 AM »
you might give trail boss a look.can't say as to how well it shoots, but it was designed basically for cowboy shooters. dan
Dan Deluca aka "warrior1" has passed away.  Dan was a frequent poster here and on several other sites.  He passed away on 12/29/08 from a massive heart attack. RIP Dan.

Offline murphdog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 11:32:05 AM »
I think Stimpylu32 is right.  He's either been talking to someone who reloads bottlenecks or blackpowder cartridges where case fill is more important.  The poster probably now knows that case fill is not so important with straight-wall pistol cartridges.  We probably should caution him to avoid accidental double charges, as that is easily done and could be catastrophic.  After charging a tray of pistol cartridges with powder, I ALWAYS use a light to look down into the cases to ensure that they all have the same amount of powder.  Then I seat the bullets.
Duane

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 03:10:25 PM »
i forget what charge I was using back in '01 for the IRC but, for my own edification I overcharged a .38Spl case. I could TRIPLE charge it and just fill the case. A double charge would be invisible on a progressive press.
SharonAnne

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline jrnsuz

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 12:31:27 PM »
Thanks for the responses, I appreciate the help.

Stimpy, after rereading some info I believe you're correct on the rifle cartridges. Lack of experience sometimes makes it a little confusing, I guess. Also, in your first post I assume you meant "cast bullets"?

Charles P, she doesn't cook or clean much with even one hand, so no real loss there(humor you know).

That point covered, HS6 looks like a good powder to start with as I want to also load for .45acp later on. Any thoughts or experience with this powder, or recommendations for another that works well for both cartridges? J.R.

" It's not the dope on the rifle, it's the dope behind it! " GySgt Harrison

Offline PaulS

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 09:07:42 PM »
I use HS-6 for my 38 and 45 Colt loads. It is an excellent choice.
PaulS

Hodgdon, Lyman, Speer, Sierra, Hornady = reliable resources
so and so's pages on the internet = not reliable resources
Alway check loads you find on the internet against manuals.
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 01:21:40 AM »
I use only one loading for any of my 38 Spls, be they snubbies or longer.  My preference is for the 200 gn swc bullet over a factory Winchester charge of 3.8 gns of 231 powder.  I think you can get almost 800'/sec (770'/sec. actually listed) at standard pressures. 

In the 38 Spl case the amount of WW231 powder used for that load does not even come up to the halfway mark and it takes only standard pistol primers.  You can shoot a lot of boolets with only one pound of powder and a brick of primers.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline SharonAnne

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2008, 03:20:39 PM »
Mikey, where on earth do you find 200gr 38s?  That is huge!!
SharonAnne