Author Topic: Help I can't load my model 94  (Read 2091 times)

Offline PA1749

• Trade Count: (1)
Help I can't load my model 94
« on: June 04, 2008, 11:12:54 AM »
I just picked up a used 1978 model 94. The bluing is excellent and the wood is VG. However, the loading port gate is stuck or something. I can't get it to open and I can't load the rifle. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Offline jlchucker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Help I can't load my model 94
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 11:57:57 AM »
You haven't provided a photo, or many details about this problem. Therefore, it's kind of hard to offer suggestions.  It may not be anything serious.  Why not truck on down to your friendlly gunsmith's with it and maybe get a quick fix and some pointers.  With a 94, an old and crusty gunsmith might be a better choice than some newbee who's never worked on much of anything but assault rifles and shortmags. Seriously, though--if you can't load it, the problem may not be much, but it also may be serious enough so that you wouldn't WANT to load it, either. 

Offline 30-06man

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 01:31:20 PM »
I just picked up a used 1978 model 94. The bluing is excellent and the wood is VG. However, the loading port gate is stuck or something. I can't get it to open and I can't load the rifle. Does anyone know how to fix this?

First of all why would you buy it if you didn't know what was wrong if it was fixable? You may have gotten ripped off and I would go to the person who sold it to you asap and ask them about it. Take pictures and post them and also provide more info. You could take the gun apart and fix the problem if you know what you are doing.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline jimster

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 01:39:21 PM »
Before you walk out the door to take it to a smith..I have to ask...are you trying to load it with the lever forward and the action open?   The loading gate can only push in when the action is closed and the lever is closed position.

If you have experience with the 94 lever...please forgive me for asking that question...but I had to ask in case it's your first lever action.

If the loading does not work with the action closed, yes, see a gun smith, and yes, look for an older crusty guy.  We have a smith like that in my area, he's good with lever actions and such.

Offline PA1749

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 01:53:22 AM »
First of all, I bought it on the internet and had it shipped to me. I called  the guy I bought if from and he told me that he got it in a trade and never fired it. True or not, I don't know. I have owned a Marlin 1894c .357 mag and a Marlin 30aw 30-30. I'm not new to lever actions. However, this is my first winchester. I have tried to load it with the lever closed and the hammer in the half cock postion. That loading port just won't budge.

I'm thinking about taking it to a gun smith today.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 06:46:11 AM »
First of all, I bought it on the internet and had it shipped to me. I called  the guy I bought if from and he told me that he got it in a trade and never fired it. True or not, I don't know. I have owned a Marlin 1894c .357 mag and a Marlin 30aw 30-30. I'm not new to lever actions. However, this is my first winchester. I have tried to load it with the lever closed and the hammer in the half cock postion. That loading port just won't budge.

I'm thinking about taking it to a gun smith today.
Yeah sounds like you still need to contact the seller asap. They may know something or be willing to have it fixed.

That's why I never buy guns online and if I were you I would do the same.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind

Rick

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 12:28:41 PM »
Something is keeping the carrier/lifter from dropping back all the way down to it's normal, lowest position - where it's ready to accept a cartridge from the magazine.

That something could be something as simple as pine needles or other junk in there, or as complex as a worn link tip letting a cartridge slide by & under the lifter.

Either way, it needs to come at least a little bit apart - and unless you have good mechanical ability, take it to a gunsmith.

If you have the ability, remove the large-headed leverpin cover screw fron the middle of the upper left receiver wall, open the lever until the pin near it's front lines up with the holes and drift out the lever pin.
Next, drift out the lower front receiver pin, which holds the front of the lower link in - and the lever/link can be pulled down so you can examine and work on the inside of the loading gate area.

Assemble in reverse order.  :D

Here's a tutorial, w/pics, if you want to try:

http://www.castbullet.com/misc/tdown.htm
There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline PA1749

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 04:19:31 PM »
I took it to a very experienced gunsmith today. I don't really mind. The rifle is worth saving and he is going to make sure nothing else is wrong with it.

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 04:33:51 PM »
Still I would have contacted the seller for not telling you this.

Well what was wrong with it?

Rick

Offline jimster

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 01:27:23 PM »
Glad you got it fixed, always liked the 94's, good all around guns. 
Let us know what it was, in case it happens to one of us.  Was it the lifter that was getting in the way?

Offline PA1749

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 02:21:43 AM »
Still waiting to get it back from the smith. When I do, I'll post what was wrong with it.

Offline PA1749

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008, 07:32:17 AM »
It turned out that someone had taken the rifle apart before and reassembled it with the left and right cartridge guide rails switched. It also had a bad lifter spring that needs to be replaced. It's going to cost me about $50.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 07:58:28 AM »
Sounds simple enough!
Glad it wasn't something more serious.
Don't you just love amateur gunsmiths!

I once bought a SAVAGE model 720 semi-auto 12ga.
Looks just like a BROWNING A5.
The man said it would not eject the shells.
One of the ejector springs had broken and the other was missing.
Asking price was $145.00 and I got it bought for $100.00 even.
He didn't realise it had a three didgt serial # which made it a first year production gun.
I replaced both springs, a total cost of $3.59 including shipping.
It works as good as a new one now and it's not for sale.
Sometimes you have to take a few chances.

I think I would contact the seller and see if he would stand all or at least part of the cost for the repairs.
Worth a try!
You never know if you don't ask!
Good luck.

LONGTOM

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline jimster

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 02:36:32 PM »
Glad ya got it fixed, thanks for letting us know what it was.  50 bucks isn't too bad these days either.  Most smiths would charge that just to take it all a part and clean it and put it back together.

Jim

Offline 30-06man

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 06:54:51 AM »
50 Bucks isn't bad if you aren't paying for it. The seller didn't mention it so I would have contacted him and let him pay the bill.

Rick