Author Topic: What's a fair price for a used GP100 3"?  (Read 867 times)

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
What's a fair price for a used GP100 3"?
« on: May 29, 2008, 07:04:43 AM »
I met a guy who has a 3" GP100 for sale, until this we never met.  According to him he has not fired many rounds through the gun.  Less than 50, and in that case the gun itself is still basically as good as new and he did buy it new.  He's got some goodies that go along with it, like hogue grips and other misc.

I want to know what people think is a fair price for something like this.  After a while I'll mention what he's asking.

I've got no reason not to trust the mans word, but I've always looked at guns like driving a new car off the lot.  It may only have a couple miles on the car, but when it's off the lot it's not new anymore and definitely not getting a like new resale price.  It stinks because I've been on that end of a deal like this too, but that's kind of the way it is.  Am I wrong?

Offline daddyof4

Re: What's a fair price for a used GP100 3"?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 07:12:23 AM »
Teddy,
 That gun might not have a thing wrong with it, but at the same time you seem to be getting red flags. Something that you are uncomfortable with isn't cheap at any price.  If you knew him and trusted him I would say in the 350 range. I think it depends on how bad you want it and in you area.

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 07:38:38 AM »
The only real flags that come up are the prices he and I have talked about.  I've never got an impression that I couldn't trust to guy, if anything I feel very comfortable with the idea.

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 09:11:58 AM »
If the Houge grips are wood they run $60 and up, if rubber around $25. If he has any type of leather holster you're talking another $40 and up. What about dies, brass, bullets, (you mentioned other goodies.) I personally wouldn't want to get over $400 in it, even with the goodies.

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 09:35:28 AM »
I hate when people talk about the round count and that making it "just like new."  I have seen some gp-100's that looked great, and had quite a few rounds and a few years on them go for $275-$300, and mechanically they were perfect. 

If the gun has no marks on it, and has the hougue rubber grips on it, I might pay $375 - because like you said, it is used, no matter how he looks at it.  And really, I hope that money isn't burning a hole in your pocket to give to this guy.  Because if he wants more than that, you can EASILY find a used GP-100 in the $300-400 range.  If it does come with some good accesories, then up to $400 wouldn't be a ripoff, anything too much above $400, and you are getting taken though. 

If misc assecories are like cleaning stuff and a gun tote... those items really shouldn't add anything to the sale.  Nice grips and nice holsters do make a differerence.  But if you are talking hougue rubber grips for $20, and an uncle mikes holster for $15.... also shouldn't make much difference on base price of the gun. 
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline teddy12b

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 09:55:08 AM »
Here's the list of goodies.

2 HKS speed loaders for the GP

2 sets of Rubber Hogue grips, one is the Tamer Grip and the other is the Rubber Hogue mono grip, and original ruger grips with wood insert.

Wolff Shooters spring pack - not installed.

Fobus Roto paddle holster. It is the type that you do not need a belt for.

Original plastic box and paperwork with ruger safety bar lock & keys.

The speed loaders, extra grips and holster don't really amount to much in my mind and all I'm really interested in is the gun and the hogue tamer grip.  I think $350 is a reasonable max $$ for the gun & tamer grips.

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 10:10:16 AM »
I agree, $350 would be max.

Offline corbanzo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 10:35:27 PM »
Sounds like you got your answer to me.  If he asks for more, tell him to push off, you'll get your gp.
"At least with a gun that big, if you miss and hit the rocks in front of him it'll stone him to death..."

Offline safetysheriff

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 03:41:09 PM »
if all the checks you've done so far look ok', AND if the gap between the barrel and cylinder is less than .006'', and if the end-play is less than .003'' you may want to buy the revolver at $350.   AND, that is if the barrel-to-cylinder gap is very consistent all the way around the cylinder.   (if it varies by more than .0015 then the cylinder is not cut square on its front end with its axis of rotation.    in that case you may want to tell him to keep the unit.   i've only seen one like that from the factory.)   

however, i've seen plenty of gp-100's (new) for sale, and they are usually Very Well made.     i had a chance to buy a 6'' gp-100 and passed on it for excessive (in my opinion) end-play and barrel-cylinder gap.    i did buy a 6'' unit elsewhere and it is as tight as you could reasonably want.    in other words:  wait for a good one, well-made, to come along if this one isn't in very good condition.

ss'   
Yet a little while and the wicked man shall be no more.   Though you mark his place he will not be there.   Ps. 37.