Author Topic: Charter Arms Pathfinders  (Read 602 times)

Offline S A Webbx1

• Trade Count: (0)
Charter Arms Pathfinders
« on: May 22, 2008, 05:36:08 AM »
I'm interested in feedback on the pathfinders preferably based on experience rather than hearsay.  I'm looking at a bearcat in stainless and have a price under $400 nib available but I prefer double actions and adjustable sights.  I want the kit gun size and weight;  I have a SP 101 with custom fully adjustable rear and a S&W 6" 617 but I want a gun I can put in my tool pocket.  I've been unarmed [other than the ax I was carrying] when the neighbors stray pit bull was eyeing the goats and it was not a good feeling.  Accuracy is a must; must shoot minute of pop-can to 20 yards.  Durability is also a concernconsidering it is intended to be the always gun in the barnyard and walkabout plinker.  My other needs are met by 32 mags and a 41 Mtn gun so I have the bigger stuff well enough covered.  The pathfinders are 3-4 oz lighter than the bearcat and around 12 oz lighter than my pair of SP 101s, so in size and weight they would seem ideal.  They intro'd a 327 in 4" at an NRA event recently and that has interest also.  What say ye all?

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
Re: Charter Arms Pathfinders
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 12:19:34 PM »
I owned a 3" pathfinder and enjoyed it.  It was not the most accurate but would do 1 1/2" at 15 yds fine.  I enjoyed also that it fit my holsters for my 'J' frame smiths and my other Charters (3" .38 and 3" .44).  It was a good little pistol that I picked up for $100 used.  A buddy of mine finally decided he wanted it worse than I did and I sold it to him.  Next time I would probably look at one of the little S&W's, if I could find one used, I wouldn't pay new prices for one (I wouldn't buy a Bearcat new either, but I like that gun).  Now maybe a round butted Bearcat with a barrel cut just long enough to bump the emptys loose in the cylinder would be fun.  Maybe 2 3/4 or 3".  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 04:53:48 AM »
My favorite kit gun is the "old model" Bearcat with the light weight alloy frame, I never could see the point of the "Super Bearcat", the steel frame is just heavier for no good reason. They can generally be found for about $250 in very good condition. Ruger builds a much better gun than Charter Arms. I've owned a Pathfinder and a "target model" with adjustable sights and found they are self-adjusting, that is they won't stay set unless you fill them up with locktite or JB Weld. I think for an all day every day kind of gun you'd be much better off with the fixed sights, get it zeroed once and forget it.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline S A Webbx1

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 10:30:43 AM »
Ended up with the ss Bearcat.  Got a great price and $50 more on a trade-in than I expected so I went for it.  Nice little revolver for workpants carry on the goat ranch.  Dagnabbed goats misbehave at their peril now!  It is amazing how a goat that has been ignoring my commands will pay attention when I emphasize my point with a shot in the dirt [not at or towards the goat].  Git means git!  Too bad the prime chicken killing suspects are all protected species.  Sure hate to get a felony and fine and lose my 2nd amendment rights shooting some winged chicken-napper.  Lost a tame Polish hen [no joke] and the Ranch Boss is taking it hard.  There's also a coon been seen a couple nights in a row and he may be found guilty on general principles if I see him nosing around.

SAWebbx1